The visual appearance has been completely updated, however the philosophy of the application and its user experience remain the same. We know that some users used to the previous appearance may be disappointed at first, but be sure that all changes have been made to create a better and friendlier experience.
Please don't hesitate to report any bug or translation errors on this support forum or by email so we can fix it as soon as possible. A maintenance update will soon released containing various changes based on the feedbacks we already received.
Why a so different 2.0 version and not having added new features to the old 1.4 one?
Reason 1: AlpineQuest 1.4 is based on the Android 2 framework, it has become more and more difficult to update it to make it work on newer Android versions (especially Android 5 and 6). AlpineQuest 2 is now based on the Material design and framework introduced in Android 5 (more than one year ago), and can finally use all features of recent Android version (like Permissions, Cards, Drawers, etc).
Reason 2: lot of people say AlpineQuest 1.4 is too complicated and difficult to use, and you want to add even more feature to it?
Why forcing users to install this new version?
No one is forced to use it, if it has been installed on your device it means that you manually updated the application or have checked the "automatically update" option for this application in the Google Play Store.
The Location Tracker
The Location Tracker is now called the Track recorder and has changed a bit. There is no need to export (or save) the track just after recording it, it's now automatically saved.
Please have a look at the detailed and updated online help on the track recorder.
Working with GPX and KML files
When selecting a GPX or KML file, the application will import it and work with the imported copy.
If you re-import the same file, the application will detect it and ask you if you want to re-use the already imported version.
Please have a look at the detailed and updated online help on how to import files.
List of changes:
- Added storage workspaces allowing to store temporary data and to clear only parts of the map storage (see online help here);
- New measure tool to quicky compute distances and bearings between any points (see online help here);
- Continuous map display towards east and west;
- Ability to import KMZ overlays maps;
- Ability to sort displayed landmarks by distance from screen center;
- Ability to remove built-in on-demand maps;
- Ability to display entire LDK landmark files at once;
- Added exit button in immersive fullscreen mode;
- Added direction to North and cardinal sector in the orientation information box;
- Added Russian translation (thanks to Alexlong);
- Added partial Slovak translation (thanks to Frantisek);
- Improved on-map heading icon;
- Improved favorite maps and sets;
- Improved support of Android 6.0 (Marshmallow);
- Various improvements and bug fixes.
Get the last APK version here, or get it on Google Play soon.
For devices that don't have access to the Android Market, it is possible to buy the full version of AlpineQuest on our website. Click here for more information.
Thanks to all AlpineQuest users.