The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Zoom slider behaviour

Any question about the app? Ask it here
saturnreturn

[closed] Zoom slider behaviour

Post by saturnreturn »

I like that it is possible to over-zoom because it helps when you're outside, however, when a map first loads, it seems like there is some over-zooming already applied - the slider is already partly to the right and I have to drag it back to the left to get a non-fuzzy image. Am I correct?

My feeling when using the app is that the slider should always start at the left, and that that position should show the raster image at its actual size, with no over-zooming applied.

Can you clarify what range of zoom the slider provides, and what the default zoom is when a map is loaded? e.g. is it something like:
all the way to the left is actual size (100%), and
all the way to the right is 300% zoomed, and
default is 150% ??
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Zoom slider behaviour

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again,
It is actually possible to over-zoom but also to under-zoom maps.
In fact that's why the slider is not completely on the left.

By default the slider is at the ratio 1 zoom position (no over/under-zoom).

The zoom ratio usually goes from 0.5 to 10 (50% to 1000%). By changing the "Map size" setting to "Big" in the preferences window, you can un-zoom to 0.3.

You can see current zoom ratio value if you activate the display of the map information (most-right button in the maps sub-menu).

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
saturnreturn

Post by saturnreturn »

The new slider is really useful for smoothly going between the zoom levels in a map file, thank you!

One question - from what I can tell, AlpineQuest now adds a couple of artificial zoom levels to allow "extreme under-zoom" - the numbered circles are a slightly different colour (unless it's my eyes!). Is that right?

What I was wondering is whether it could load an actual map rather than artificially underzooming, if there was another map in-range at the appropriate zoom levels. Reason I ask is that at the most zoomed in levels, by the time you start to underzoom by a whole level or two there is so much detail in the map that you can't sensibly render it at that level, and would be better off loading a map designed to be rendered at that level. Just a thought, but I suppose it might be just my personal preference and not something that others would want. It also probably depends on what maps you're using (I'm talking about UK Ordnance Survey maps)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes you're completely right, "artificial" levels are displayed in a (not so) different color. Like most of new features, this one is not documented yet, but I'll do it.

Concerning your question about automatic map loading, it would be very difficult to load an offline maps using the zoom slider, in the way that offline maps may take a very long time to load, and the user won't see the effect immediately. While the map is loading, he would be able to move the zoom slider back to the initial ratio (so cancel map loading?), to move it in a range covered by another offline map (so start a new loading?), etc.

In the absolute, this would be a great feature, but it will need some work and much reflexion to properly handle every situations. I'll keep this in mind tough.

However, you can still use the "+" and "-" buttons to change map levels but also maps.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !