The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Unable to transfer files to Android 11

Any question about the app? Ask it here
T2D

Unable to transfer files to Android 11

Post by T2D »

I have transferred all directories and files related to AlpineQuest (Full) from the SD card of my old phone (Android 7) to the SD card of my new phone (Android 11). The files reside in a directory named /AlpineQuest but they cannot be used by AlpineQuest because of the file restrictions in Android 11. The files must be placed in one specific location (the only one offered when viewing Settings > Storage Location) :
/storage/sd_card/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/
However, it's write-protected and none of the six different file management apps I tried was able to copy files to that location.

Apps I tried:

1. Cx File Explorer
2. X-plore File Manager
3. Samsung's My Files app
4. FX Explorer
5. Solid Explorer
6. Windows 10 File Manager (with phone connected to a PC)

Some apps indicated that special permission was required but the screen that was displayed, to grant access, either disallowed it or failed to work. X-plore seemed to succeed in granting write-access but it ultimately failed with an extensive error message for each file it tries to copy. All other apps displayed messages like "Access Denied", "No access", or simply beeped and failed (i.e. Windows 10 File Manager).

All of the file managers had write access to Android/media (as opposed to Android/data) so I copied the files to:
/storage/sd_card/Android/media/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/
However, AlpineQuest did not display this location as a possible option for storage.

There's only one permissible directory on the SD card, it's write-protected, and none of the six apps I have tried was able to copy my files to it.
What should I try next to make my data accessible to AlpineQuest?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230702-180329_AlpineQuest Off-Road Explorer.png
(144.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Unable to transfer files to Android 11

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
No sorry it's not possible due to the new Android limitations, only the folders listed can be used.
However I'm using "Cx File Explorer" and it does work fine.
Alternatively you can either reuse the same SD card, plug your device on a computer for the transfer, or plug the SD card only on a computer.
I'm sorry for the troubles, everything was easy before then Google decided to make things difficult for everyone (users and developers). And it's not finished, there is a new set of limitations arriving soon that will even more reduce our freedom...
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
T2D

Post by T2D »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:36 am ... or plug the SD card only on a computer.
I can't believe I overlooked to use the simplest and most direct method! :oops: A fine example of not being able to "see the forest for the trees".

By inserting the phone's SD card directly in the PC, Android's directory and file permissions are bypassed (it's so very obvious to me now).

I'm pleased to report that I was able to copy the files from the old SD card to the new SD card, in /storage/sd_card/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/, and AlpineQuest is now able to access them.

Thank you for your assistance and patience.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

However I'm using "Cx File Explorer" and it does work fine.
This one is the same but better
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ilemanager