The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Changes to the Move To Centre functionality

Any question about the app? Ask it here
MxThomas

[closed] Changes to the Move To Centre functionality

Post by MxThomas »

First, thank you for producing this very good app. I have mainly used it for route planning for walks and I have very many stored routes which I maintain with the various create and edit functions. I have been using the new version 2 for a few days now and I can confirm that the many things I had set up under the previous version have all continued to work very well. I am still finding out about the many changes to menus, but I think I now have a good understanding of most these changes.

The one change that I dislike, and would wish to have restored, is the removal of the "Move to centre" edit item on the immediate context menu that pops up when selecting waypoints, both stand alone points and route points. I used this extensively for minor repositioning, and I really miss it as a quick and easy tool. I notice that I can still achieve this by selecting the Edit: Edit Details item / tapping the location dropdown list / selecting the Screen Centre Coordinates item / and tapping OK. (And of course, for routes I can also use the Edit Points funtion.) However this is cumbersome compared to what the old version allowed. I can see that the ability to edit location coordinates offers good funcionality, but I would still like to see the Move To Centre function at the top level of the Edit drop-down menu of waypoints.
eas

Re: Changes to the Move To Centre functionality

Post by eas »

I too need the ability to make minor changes to waypoint positions. The lack of this feature means I cannot upgrade to v.2.
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
AlpineQuest 1.4.22 and 1.4.22b
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

hi,
The new version doesn't "lack" this functionality, it just doesn't work the same way.
It's true that as MxThomas said (and I'm sorry about that), it's a bit "longer" for waypoints (6 clicks instead of 3), but that's exactly why it changed: it was too easy to modify the location of a point, there were no confirmation and the original location were definitely lost. I received emails of two different "unhappy" users that though to move the map over the waypoint when the opposite happened, with the initial location of the point lost forever... Now it's a bit longer but much safer...
For the sets, just like MxThomas also said, the "Move to center" option is still available after selecting "Edit points".
I'll see if I can find a better way, both fast and safe.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
MxThomas

Post by MxThomas »

Thank you for your explanation of your reasoning for the change. I have myself sometimes inadvertently moved a point when I had not intended too, but that has never been a significant problem for me because I have easily corrected my mistake. But I do understand that you are striking a balance between likes and dislikes in users. Having spent another day in using the new version I have begun to adapt how I work to ease the task and so I am more content with the changes.

And to ess, if you are reading this, I do recommend that you reconsidder making the upgrade to version 2, for as I noted in my original post, we can still make positioning changes. I am finding the overall package of changes to be very good - it is tsking me a little while to check out how I must adapt to do things, but version 2 makes several things easier than they were.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I have myself sometimes inadvertently moved a point when I had not intended too
I'm sure lot of people have... It clearly shows that it couldn't stay as it was...
eas

Post by eas »

OK you can't please everyone.

But please note the comment which inevitably follows such an admission "that has never been a significant problem ... because I have easily corrected my mistake". Because the move can only occur on the visible screen, inadvertently moved waypoints can be quickly be returned from whence they came. So was the response really proportionate to the problem?

I move thousands of waypoints and now rarely inadvertently move one. So the extra time taken to move each point far outweighs any advantage increased in speed with v.2.0 might give.

When I have finished my current project I might look at v.2 again. For now, I will soldier on with 1.4.22b, like the dinosaur that I am :-)
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

If you manage so much waypoints, you should really move them in sets, this way you can still toggle the edit mode by choosing "Edit points" and then use the "Move to center" just like before.

I understand your frustration, but I consider safety more important in this case. You saying "now rarely inadvertently move one" means you did it too, and even if you were able to move them back, it's not always the case (when you have a lot of displayed items you may not see were the moved point came from)... If we have all here used this feature inadvertently at some point, how much other users have?

Sorry about that.
eas

Post by eas »

Thanks, I obviously have to use sets already since if you don't then anything over about a thousand individual waypoints slows the app to a crawl.

Still haven't worked out how to move a waypoint which is part of an area (.are) file. If I can work that out I may be able to file a proper bug report concerning the new feature where you can overwrite map tiles. In terms of human (not app) safety it could be quite important.
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

For areas, it's just like sets: display it on the map, click on it, then on its name and select "Edit point".
Click on any location of the area and select "Move to center" to move it.