The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Access to Android SD card restored??

Any question about the app? Ask it here
elneato

[closed] Access to Android SD card restored??

Post by elneato »

Android Kitkat: I've just discovered that this app can once again read/write to the removable SD card. Anyone know anything about this? I see no news that Google has enabled access for Kitkat. Has the developer of this app found a workaround?

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Access to Android SD card restored??

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Actually apps can no longer modify files and folder anywhere on the SD card, however there one application allowed for each application, which is located inside the folder "/Android/data/...".
Android will allow read/write access in this folder. There's one folder per application, an application can not modify other application's folders.
Note that when you remove this application, Android will also delete this folder, so all your stored data is removed.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

Ok, thanks for your reply. I love your app, and before KitKat, I could use the SDcard to store many maps and not have to use up space in my internal storage. After KitKat, access to the SD was restricted, so I had to use the internal storage. But now I see that I can once again read AND write to the SD card / android / data... folder. This is awesome because my phone has very limited internal storage. Not sure how this happened but it's great. Thanks... Amazing app
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for your feedback
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

There are fixes for this particular "feature" of KitKat (some might call it a bug), whereby large sections of the file system are marked as read-only. You may need to root your device first with SU, Odin and / or TWRP. This is a no-brainer for me as most of my Apps require root :-)

If you are new to rooting, then make sure that you do EXTENSIVE research first, so that you at least have some clue as to how to go about it and more importantly, how to recover when it all goes belly up ;-)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Right, various custom ROMS and apps for rooted devices allow to restore the write access to the external SD card for all apps.