The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Waypoints not showing on new tablet

Any question about the app? Ask it here
AntonM

[closed] Waypoints not showing on new tablet

Post by AntonM »

I've recently got a replacement N10 tablet and copied my backed up AQ files into the appropriate folder on the new tablet. They include a variety of offline maps, and waypoints, which are in folders and subfolders relating to countries and locations within the countries. Within the existing "alpinequest" folder, the folder structure is identical to that on my SGSIII phone.

The phone works perfectly and displays all my restaurant waypoints on a downloaded Paris map. My tablet displays the map, but shows no waypoints. What am I I doing wrong?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Waypoints not showing on new tablet

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You should check that you're looking for your waypoints in the right place, I mean that if they are on the external memory, be sure to list the external memory in not the device memory that may have a very similar directory structure. This is especially true if you have Android 4.4, because the external memory management is different and the application won't use it by default (see here).

What you can also do, is to use your device file explorer to locate your waypoint files (any .TRK or .GPX file), and click on any one to open it. AlpineQuest should be listed and opened automatically. Choose 'Browse content' and you should be able to see where the application locates your waypoint files.

Let me know
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Thanks for your reply. I read "How to change the location of stored data" from your link. Please indulge me as I describe more fully what I'm experiencing.

My tablet runs Android 4.4.2 and my phone is Android 4.3. My phone has an external SD card, while my tablet does not.

Both devices refer to internal storage as "/storage/emulated/0/".

Both devices also have "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/". Neither device lists anything in this latter location (I'm using Total Commander from Google Play on my tablet. and "My Files" built-in by Samsung on my phone to browse the file structure outside AQ).

On my phone I have no "/storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/" as I moved it long ago to the phone's SD card, where AQ is quite happy with it (i.e., "/storage/extSdCard/alpinequest/"). That folder contains my downloaded maps, waypoints, etc., and all is well.

My tablet does have "/storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/" and I copied into that folder the maps and waypoints from my phone's "/storage/extSdCard/alpinequest/" into the equivalent subfolders on my tablet.

On my tablet I can pick any map from my downloads, and it displays them quite happily. When I tap on the landmarks button (in AQ), my folder of landmarks comes up. Tapping on a landmark displays it on the map, but only the one I tapped. Tapping on another tghen displays that one as well as the first. Having tried that, I exited AQ and had a look in "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/" on the tablet to see if AQ had now written anything there, but it remains empty.

I have now copied the contents of "/storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/" to "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/", and restarted AQ, but the waypoints (now in their new location as well as the old) still do not show unless explicitly selected from the list displayed by AQ's Landmarks button (I have set Landmarks to point to the new location).

Another thing I've noticed on my tablet (before moving stuff to the new location as well as since having done that) is that tapping on the crosshairs in the middle of the screen does not pop up a menu as it does on my phone. Also, tapping on either of the two waypoints I explicitly selected above does not pop up the comments that I saved with the waypoint, as it does on my phone.

Haven't I just missed a setting somewhere?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
After reading in details, I think that your issue is actually a different (but expected) behavior between different app versions.

It seems that your phone has an old version whereas your tablet now has the last one (1.4.19).
In recent versions, selecting a single waypoint will only display it, and not the other ones in the same folder. This allows users to display single waypoint. If you want to display waypoints together, you need to group then in a waypoint set, so they are handled together. You can group them in few clicks (click on the waypoints category icon, select 'Copy', and then past them in any folder).

Also, concerning the storage. On your tablet (running Android 4.4), the folder "/storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/" is a good choice. It's location on your device memory. Alternatively, you can also use "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/" but keep in mind that when you un-install the app (even temporarily), Android will completely delete this folder (so you'll loose everything in it).

Let me know
Best regards
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

I've actually always been using the same version of AQ on both my SGSIII phone and on my Nexus10 tablet -- i.e., 1.4.19 up until last night, when I updated both devices to 1.4.20. I always update manually, and I keep all my apps meticulously up to date.

I'm confused now about the storage location on my tablet. I now have "/storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/" with its original contents, as well as those contents copied over into "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/" -- i.e., duplicated.

Should I delete one of them? Of so, which one?

About grouping waypoints into a set -- do I have to create the waypoint first, and then copy it into a set? Or can I add a new waypoint directly into an existing set? There is a "Move to" menu option when I tap on a new waypoint, but nothing seems to happen, the menu just closes. (I'm doing a new set of waypoints now, by the way, and doing them on my phone, as that is what I will have in my hand when I'm out walking.) I'm finding it really difficult to understand what to do. Sorry for being such a dummy!

About screen taps: the phone pops up a waypoint-related menu when I tap once on the screen, whereas the tablet seems to need a double-tap, and that sometimes causes it to zoom in instead. That's not a huge issue, as I use the phone when I'm out walking -- just thought you might want to know about the difference in behaviour between the two devices.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Concerning the storage location, both are suitable. However I recommend you to use "/storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/", simply because the other one ("/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/") is automatically created by the system, and will also be automatically deleted if you remove the application, even temporarily. In this case, you'll loose all your stored data, saved waypoints, tracks, etc.

Concerning the waypoints, the application supports single standalone waypoints, but also sets of waypoints (this is what I called grouped waypoints).
You can create a set from scratch using the create menu, but you can also:
- copy/paste existing waypoints or sets into an existing set;
- create additional waypoints into an existing set, just browse a set using the Landmarks Explorer (click on the set to open it and list the waypoints inside it), and then create a waypoint just like when you do for standalone waypoints.

Let me know if you need more details on any part
Best regards