The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] addition of spoken announcements for training purposes

Any question about the app? Ask it here
franz.kocijan

[closed] addition of spoken announcements for training purposes

Post by franz.kocijan »

First I need to express my gratitude for this app! I come from DOS over Win 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista and 7, all mobile windows versions and was happy with winmo 6.5. For a long time the main emphasis in upgrading was on better technical capabilities and I was happy to evolve. Now that the focus has shifted rather to commercial opportunities I notice that many "upgrades" are actually "sidegrades" and replace long existing capabilities with nothing better but only different ways to do the same. I lost my joy in computing as a consequence and delayed my switch from winmo 6.5 to Android as much as I could.
Seeking to rebuild my winmo tools in Android is tedious and there are so many superficial and half-baked apps that I begin to develop some contempt for the "Apps Economy".
I found however that some developers are deeply committed to excellence and this restores some of my faith and joy.
Alpine Quest is one of those apps where the massive improvement of hardware in recent years is matched by the software and I am more than happy to pay for that level of excellence and commit myself to learn the nooks and crannies of the app. Thank you again and sorry for the ramblings.
Beside hiking I use Alpine Quest for geological orientation and have added geo-referenced geological custom maps. The possibility to display simultaneously satellite, terrain and geological maps and change their transparencies to locate particular features is just mind-boggling. THAT is real progress!
I use the app also for running and bike riding.
I do miss an option to have spoken announcements (say every kilometre or so where a voice would tell me the distance done and the time taken - My Tracks from Google has this feature (and Marathon in my old winmo HTC HD2).
That would round off the Alpine Quest app for me.
I have one issue unresolved: After a run I have a very erratic speed log. The speed graph shows impossible spikes (like 53kph peaks in jogging). Maybe that is a reflection of satellite reception (atmospheric, Doppler shifts etc). Imported speed profiles from My Tracks (Google app) are smoother and more true. The current spikes make it impossible for me to evaluate speed vs altitude/slope in a meaningful way. I use a Galaxy Note 3 and have not noticed GPS speed issues in other apps and believe the hardware is ok.
Is it possible to have some form of algorithm that integrates speed values -maybe average or RMS (root mean square) filtering resulting in a smoother graph?
To be able to zoom into altitude graphs would be icing on the cake. 100 m elevation difference is a lot for a runner or bike rider but is dwarfed on the current graphing scale.
Again Thank You
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: addition of spoken announcements for training purposes

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks a lot for your feedback. That's great if you like the application.
I also widely share your point of you concerning the actual evolution of technology...

Concerning your suggestion about spoken announcements, it as already been asked few times, and would a nice feature to have. However, even if we would like to add it one day, it's not currently on the top of the priority list, as we try to work on the mapping functionalities first...

Concerning the graphic improvement, you're right that it would be nice to be able to zoom it (both horizontally and vertically). The data should be also better smoothed.
I'm not sure I'll be able to include that in the next update, but it will be available quite soon.

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Re: addition of spoken announcements for training purposes

Post by Guest »

Thanks for responding. I forgot to mention that the dynamic profile is far less accurate with barometric altitude selected (is also very noisy) than the geoid mode.