The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Splitting a track / segment

Any question about the app? Ask it here
CRider

[done] Splitting a track / segment

Post by CRider »

Hi,
I've recorded some tracks where I've forgotten to pause the recording during the transport by car.
What would be very useful in this case is the ability to split a track / segment into 2 segments.
Then I would have been able to delete the useless segment.
Best regards.
ds47uk

Re: Splitting a track / segment

Post by ds47uk »

If you have access to a Windows PC, there is an excellent free program that does this and more - GPS Track Editor. I use it with AlpineQuest by synchronising the AlpineQuest Landmarks folder with a PC folder using DropBox (PC/Android) and DropSync (Android).

You could use any other method you have or know (Airdroid / SD Card / even eMail!) to get the GPX tracks onto your PC.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Actually you can already split GPX tracks using AlpineQuest.
You have to browse the track (long-press on it and select 'Browse content'), then browse again the segment you want to split, and long press on the location where to start the new segment. From the menu, select 'Split here'.
A new segment is displayed starting at the selected location.

Using "real" GPX editors like ds47uk suggests is even better, but at least this feature allows you to make few edits while being away from a computer.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
CRider

Post by CRider »

Hi,
Yes, basic editing is very useful when you're not at home for a long while.

1) I've found the splitting feature for GPX file. Thanks. However, it's not available for the default track format. Converting to GPX just for splitting a segment is not really convenient.

2) I was expecting to have a split feature while editing graphically the points of a track / segment. Like you're able to delete a point, it would be great to be able to split a track / segment graphically.

2) would be perfect, but can you please take into account 1) at least.
Thanks.
Best regards.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes you're right these improvement would be good.
I'll try to do it for the next update.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I'm sorry but few recent messages has been lost (see here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1470).

As far as I remember you asked for the segment number display while editing the points. I'll try to do that.
Best regards
CRider

Post by CRider »

Hi,
My request is just to have the segment number with the point number during normal operation i.e. when you tap near a point. It's not during point edition (which may be a bit difficult).
In the attached screen shot, there would be the segment number near the point number in the popup window.
Thanks.
Best regards.
Attachments
tmp_Screenshot_2013-10-24-14-07-17-1-667059172.png
(203.02 KiB) Downloaded 5024 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok understood, will see what I can do.
CRider

Post by CRider »

Hi,
Thanks for adding the segment number in the popup window in AQ 1.4.10.
Now, splitting and deleting a segment can now be performed seamlessly in AQ.
Best regards.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback.
I have also improved the track editor, you can now split segments from it as you suggested, but also delete segments.
Best regards
alistairts

Re: [done] Splitting a track / segment

Post by alistairts »

Hi,
On the topic of splitting tracks into segments, could you perhaps add the feature to join segments.
As per CRider's initial post I have done the exact opposite and have mistakenly pushed 'new segment' during recording or while splitting track into a new segment post recording.
I want to make each day of a hike a segment for the day.
I have tried to cut 'segment 2' and then paste it into 'segment 1' which it won't let me do.
Then I tried to copy the individual locations in 'segment 2' and paste it into 'segment 1' which it also won't let me do.
This would probably be the easiest way to join two segments but perhaps you could add a 'join' option like the current 'split' option.

On a similar note, are you able to display the current segment HUD stats just like the total track stats are displayed during recording?
Therefore simplifying having to constantly subtract the previous segment distances to calculate the current segment distance (in my case the distance hiked for the day).

Kind Regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: [done] Splitting a track / segment

Hi and thanks for your feedback,
You're right it's not possible to join segments right now... For the next version, I'll make sure that you can paste a segment within another to merge them (it would allow not to add a new action 'Join' inside already over-crowded menus)...
Concerning the stats, you cannot get them directly from the tracker while recording (this feature has already been asked but may take time to be added). What you can do is to export the track at the end of each day to have an editable copy of what has been recorded so far. You can even clear the tracker data for the new days, and merge all the segments inside a single track at the end of the journey (just copy/paste them).
Best regards