The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Size of Landmarks Labels

Any question about the app? Ask it here
AqmS2

[done] Size of Landmarks Labels

Post by AqmS2 »

Could it be possible to change Landmarks Labels size : they are too small for me today using zoom in/out, I need to use slider or multitouch zoom... slowly not to go down to little !

1/ fixed value (default: current value),
2/ fixed value & progressive factor (default:0:no, max:1:zoom factor)

For ex. with factor 1 Landmarks labels will 'follow' size of Map labels, with factor 0.5 Landmarks labels will become larger but not at the same rate as Map labels when zooming in.
But what about zooming out : a limit at a minimum size [cloud of overlaying Landmarks labels today !] ?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Size of Landmarks Labels

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
There is a setting in the AlpineQuest preferences 'Landmarks' -> 'Display size' which controls the size of landmarks and their labels.
There is only 3 value (small, medium, big) right now.
Maybe an improvement would be to add more choices (like very small or very large), or even split the setting in order to control the size of landmarks and the size of labels independently...

However the displayed landmarks and labels will have to follow the map labels since the landmarks are first written over the map, and then the "completed" map is displayed. The landmarks are re-generated over the map each time the zoom level of the map changes.

Let me know what do you think about that.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

Thank you : I only noticed the effect on landmark lines (and chose Large : ok !), but I didn't see the effect on landmark labels (still so little in Large...).

Very good idea to split the 2 settings, and to add 2 more levels for labels as for texts on map (5 levels from Very Little to Very Large).

But in my opinion you'll need to use existing levels as bottom levels and add 2 larger ones (actual Large will become future Med, and so on),
AqmS2

Post by AqmS2 »

Sorry : Guest was AqmS2...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes I guessed so!
I'll do something like you proposed, since the small size is already quite small...
Thanks!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
AlpineQuest 1.3.12 has been released and I have improved the landmarks display size.
There is now 5 different sizes (very small to very large), but I have only added larger values, as discussed.

You will however notice that there is only one setting for both labels and landmarks themselves. I made few tests and realized that having a small label size with a large display or a large label with a small display was weird on the map. Using a single setting is more clear and more consistent.
But if you think that I should increase the display sizes or the label sizes for the 'very large' setting, let me know, I can do it.

Best regards
AqmS2

Re: [done] Size of Landmarks Labels

Post by AqmS2 »

On my screen, using IGN maps, best values are :
Très gros (Very large) for labels, but...
Très petit (Very small) for lines, using new feature 'Bordure des repères', or
Petit (Small) for lines, without new feature 'Bordure des repères'.

So that I use Moyen (Med), without new feature 'Bordure', as an intermediate value...

Please allow separate settings in the future :-)
CRider

Post by CRider »

Hi,
AqmS2 wrote:Please allow separate settings in the future :-)
+1
Regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I guess I'll have to change that.... ;)
Aqm-S2

Post by Aqm-S2 »

[AqmS2] All well done in 1.4.0, thank you ;-)

My settings, for information :
Taille des textes = Très petit (for ex. Coordonnées du centre)
Taille d'affichage = Moyen (for ex. track lines)
Taille d'affichage des labels = Très gros (for ex. labels)
Bordure des repères = no
Bornes horaires = no

Perfect from zoom x4.4 (precise way finding) to x0.67 (local track overview).

Over this from x0.33 (large overview) to x0,14 (full map, approx 4 maps from IGN), map itself cannot be red on my device : map items are too small, but Aqm labels are still usable (if not to close from each others) !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback.
Concerning the map display, you should select more zoom levels when creating your maps, so you don't have to deal with zoom ratios like x0.14, which makes the map very hard to read...
Best regards
Aqm-S2

Post by Aqm-S2 »

[AqmS2] I know... but Geoportail maps are awful at large levels, and I prefer using topo than road maps at all zoom levels when riding : there's no visual "discontinuity".
Thank you !