The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Auto-Select Errors.

Something wrong? Report it here
willtell11

[closed] Auto-Select Errors.

Post by willtell11 »

While using auto select, a random point is always selected on my route no matter what option I choose in the Auto Select Menu. When (sometimes) I can get the first waypoint selected with auto select, when I move within my auto advance range the auto select will not advance to the next way point.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Auto-Select Errors.

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Did you check that the distance threshold for the auto select is not greater than your route length?
The easiest way to check if it's working fine is to choose the 'Closest' auto select method, that will not depends on the distance threshold.
Let me know,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
llamapisco

Post by llamapisco »

Hi, I'm having a similar problem as the OP: I want auto select "following" to work, but it skips ahead too early.

I noticed a pattern: the "follow distance threshold" seems to have no effect, instead the "following" setting is behaving simply as "Closest" waypoint + 1.

You can replicate this by creating a route in a straight line with various lengths between the waypoints. Instead of waiting until I get within the "follow distance threshold", the autoselection advances as soon as I'm 51% of the distance to the next waypoint, no matter what the actual distance is.

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for your post.

I just made another test today and found that as you noticed the "follow distance threshold" has no effect. The default value of 100m is always used. I have fixed this point for the next release.

However, accepting the fact that the distance threshold is 100m, the auto select seems to work as expected (at least for me, I may not have reproduced your issue).
Here is a screen-shot I have just made, where we can see that the correct following point as been selected instead of any closer one (the next one is within 100m):
device-2013-03-19-122249.png
(169.38 KiB) Downloaded 4308 times
Many users seem to have unexpected behaviors using this feature so I'll try to completely rework it, hope it will be also for the next version.

Let me know concerning your issue, if you confirm that something is wrong for you.
Sorry for this disagreement
llamapisco

Post by llamapisco »

Thanks for your reply and for confirming that the following distance has no effect.

Defaulting to 100m is only part of the issue. Rather, I think it's examining determining whether we've reached 50% of the distance to the next waypoint. In your screenshot example, you're still ~160m away from the next waypoint, yet the targeting has already advanced.

I think the app is currently working like this: for example, if we start at waypoint A, then B is targeted. Once we reach 51% of the way to B, the program will then target C, when really the app should have waited until we're within 100m of B. The 51% percent logic would be correct for the "closest" waypoint function, so it's apparent to me that the "following" setting is simply using the same logic as the "closest" setting but targeting the next waypoint sequentially.

If you decide to redesign, here are a couple of ideas:
1) Giving users arrow keys when in "follow" mode to let them cycle through the targeted waypoints.
2) Allow targeting to proceed sequentially, that is, only one step at a time. For example let's say the path follows a figure 8 shape or otherwise crosses on itself. Currently, the app's targeting isn't sequential, so when the paths cross, it's likely that the app will jump from targeting waypoint C to target waypoint L next because L is closer than waypoint D.
3) Disallow the target to retreat when a hiker is backtracking. This one is more a matter of personal preference, and I'd only want this feature if arrow keys to cycle through waypoints are available. For example, let's say I've reached waypoint D, and the app is appropriately targeting waypoint E; then I realize that I must go the start because I left my water bottle. I'd prefer, in that situation, that the app continue to target waypoint E so that I can resume my hike where I left off. And in the case that it is necessary to follow all my waypoints again, i could simply use the arrow keys to target the first waypoint and it would behave normally from there, advancing from waypoint A to B, etc.

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes I will definitely try to rewrite it.
Your ideas seem great, thanks a lot.
I'll let you know when it will be done, but I'll try to do it for the next version, or at most the following one.
Best regards
parazite

Post by parazite »

Hi there,

A small update on what's happening for me on this subject.
Since I'm quite interested with this feature, I tested it on the 1.4.0 version. It seems to work better than before but still not perfectly. The threshold distance selected in the seeing does change the selection of the next point this time. But it seems not to work under 40 meters or 130 feet. Any value under these two switch at 40 meter for me.
Is anyone able to reproduce ?

the way, congrats for your work Alpinequest, it's an amazing App ;)

Patrice.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
I have fixed the "distance threshold" setting in version 1.4.0, but I didn't find time to rework the whole feature.
It's still planned and at the top list, so it will be soon (unfortunately not the next version out soon, with just bug fixes).

Concerning your comment, in the current behavior, the switch threshold also depends on the distance between the points of the list.
This feature has been developed to be used "continuous" lists, like tracks, and it doesn't work well when points are much distant.
I have tested a distance threshold of 30m while following a recorded track, and it's work well. So I guess you are face to this distance issue.
Hopefully it will be corrected very soon.

Best regards
parazite

Post by parazite »

Hi,

Any news on this subject.
I went on a hike with the v1.4.6 and had a pretty tough time in the mug with the auto switch. Most of the points where 50/60 meters away and the switch happened around 30 meters before arriving on the point. On average it switch around half the distance of the segment before the next point (50m before for a 100m segment, 30m before for a 60m segment).

Thanks for your feedback.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

A complete new version should be available soon.
The current version works fine at least when using with a track manually created (new feature added recently), since the closer the locations are, the better it will work.
If the switch happens to early you can still rise the switch threshold in the application settings. It seemed to work quite fine every times I used it...