The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Dynamic Colouring Of Existing GPX Route Files

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Yemble

Dynamic Colouring Of Existing GPX Route Files

Post by Yemble »

I have a large number of GPX route files packaged up into a single LDX file. Individual route are accessed via the URL function of an associated icon on the map. This all works perfectly.

When a route is displayed, it is always a solid purple line with a black dot at each waypoint. I thought that it would be nice to change this route display to colour the line according to elevation. Unfortunately, when I edit the route details and change the colour to Dynamic, it always displays the line as a single solid colour. If I look at the Dynamic Profile of the route, each waypoint definitely has an elevation value which is reflected in the graph.

So, if the Dynamic Profile shows the elevation, why is the route line shown in a solid colour, indicating no elevation? There appears to be a logic flaw here.

Is this something that could be addressed?

Also, it would be nice to have the option to apply a default style and colour override, dynamic or otherwise, to routes pulled from file as AQ reads them in at start up. I really don’t want to edit several hundred of route files individually. Any chance?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Colouring Of Existing GPX Route Files

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Yemble and sorry for the delay... I just forgot this post.

In fact, "route" are not particularly suitable for dynamic coloring. Colors are only applied between points, so if those are far from each other, then you'll not have a nice colored path.

For dynamic coloring, "tracks" are more suitable, because they usually have lots of points close together.

Concerning the elevation values, if those are recorded within the tracks/routes, then you should get a dynamic coloring.
Note that if the elevations comes from the local DEM storage (locally saved elevation values), then dynamic coloring won't work (yet).

Note also that now we have multi-selection, you can update a color of hundred of items at once. But I'll try to see if I can add a default color value for a file, that would be great.

Be sure to always backup your data before playing with all those features (in particular with multi-select edition) which is a rather new feature.

Hope it helps
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:02 pm Hi Yemble and sorry for the delay... I just forgot this post.

In fact, "route" are not particularly suitable for dynamic coloring. Colors are only applied between points, so if those are far from each other, then you'll not have a nice colored path.

For dynamic coloring, "tracks" are more suitable, because they usually have lots of points close together.

Concerning the elevation values, if those are recorded within the tracks/routes, then you should get a dynamic coloring.
Note that if the elevations comes from the local DEM storage (locally saved elevation values), then dynamic coloring won't work (yet).

Note also that now we have multi-selection, you can update a color of hundred of items at once. But I'll try to see if I can add a default color value for a file, that would be great.

Be sure to always backup your data before playing with all those features (in particular with multi-select edition) which is a rather new feature.

Hope it helps
Best regards
Hi,

Yes I take your point about Routes vs Tracks, but it would still be nice to colour each waypoint (and the segments between waypoints) according to their elevation (and linear gradient between points). Which brings neatly to the crux of my issue. The raw GPX route data does not include elevation, so I am relying on the DEM storage to "fill in" the missing values. Regarding the dynamic colouring, you replied with "won't work (yet)", which suggests that it may do in the future?

I think that this is really what I am after most ;)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Yes I'll try to fill elevation data inside the tracks during creation.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !