The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Great app! But can't find it on Market (Android 1.6)

Something wrong? Report it here
cdufour

[done] Great app! But can't find it on Market (Android 1.6)

Post by cdufour »

Hello,

Congrats! I love your app. Simple, straight-forward, efficient and genuinely MobileAtlasCreator-friendly. Eventually an Android GPS app that comes close to WinMo GPS Tuner! :-)

Owning a Xperia X10 (mini pro) - Android 1.6 - I can't find either version on the Market (I installed the free version manually but now I want to buy the full version! ;-) ). Can it be Android-version related?

PS: the two things I miss are: 1. CH-1903 coordinates (as used on Swiss topo maps; unfortunately, AFAIK, the transformation/projection from WGS84 to CH-1903 is not trivial :-( ); 2. on-screen speed indication (though I may have missed that; ain't used the app while moving yet!)

Thanks for the good work!

Cheers

Cédric
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Great app! But can't find it on Market (Android 1.6) :-(

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You're right some new devices including yours can not list AlpineQuest in the Market. Applications must explicitly declare that they are compliant with these small-screen devices, and this parameter is missing in AlpineQuest 1.0.8. It has been added in version 1.0.9 which will be released soon.

Concerning missing things both are not present.
On-screen speed could be added easily (I'll do it), but CH-1903 coordinates is much more difficult (it uses a Oblique Mercator Map Projection which is not yet supported by AlpineQuest). I'll also add this feature in the wanted list but I can't give you deadlines.

Thanks for the feedback
Regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
cdufour

Post by cdufour »

Hello AlpineQuest,

Thank you very much for you fix/additions.

Along the actual GPS speed, maybe it would also be worth adding the GPS bearing. I use my GPS device both for hiking and flying. When flying (where wind can play tricks on you), actual GPS speed and bearing are necessary, to obtain your actual and so-called "ground speed/course".

From my experience with WinMo's GPS Tuner (which is very good) and other GPS Android's apps (which aren't so good), when computing those two values, one should be wary of GPS coordinates precision (otherwise you get jerky speed/bearing readings). I would say that some kind of filtering (exclude coordinates when PDOP is above a given value) and averaging (like using the mean position obtained from the last 3 or 5 PDOP-filtered GPS coordinates) could be a good idea ;-)

As for CH-1903: Maybe http://geomatics.ladetto.ch/swiss_projection_fr.pdf can help. Unfortunately, those formulas never seemed to work for me along with GPS Tuner (I wanted to batch automatic calibration of SwissTopo maps I had scanned). I reverted to using a polynomial approximation which I derived from enough points taken throughout SwissTopo's covered area; unfortunately, in was from CH-1903 to WGS-84 and not the other way around :-(

I hope this can help ;-)

Cheers and thanks again

Cédric
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I would say that some kind of filtering (exclude coordinates when PDOP is above a given value) and averaging (like using the mean position obtained from the last 3 or 5 PDOP-filtered GPS coordinates) could be a good idea
You're completely right.
I'll work on the GPS feature cause a lot of things are missing, and I'll add this. I'll also add the bearing.
Thanks a lot.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !