The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

PLEASE Read this first: onboard maps not working... ?

It's all about maps...
n16ht5

PLEASE Read this first: onboard maps not working... ?

Post by n16ht5 »

Hey I downloaded a demo map for my lite version (will buy if it works) and copied it to the maps folder on the sd card... in AQ, the maps button on the menu is still grey and unclickable.. please help!

Moto backflip android 1.5

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: map not working..?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Can you check these few points:
- The map file is in the exact folder "alpinequest/maps/" of your SD card. Note that this folder is created by AlpineQuest at startup (if not existing);
- The map file name ends with ".AQM" (or ".aqm", case is not important). When I download an AQM map with my G2, the file is saved on the SD card with ".TXT" as extension. I don't know why, but I have to rename it with the file explorer;
- The map file is not corrupted, the file size is >0KB, ... When I copy some maps from my computer to the SD card using USB, I have to wait some time before removing the USB connector even if windows says that the transfer is complete. This is due to the asynchronous data copy mode of USB;
- The SD card is accessible. If the SD card is not accessible or not writable, a message at AlpineQuest startup warns the user that it is not able to use the map feature or the waypoints feature.

Please tell me is one of these points solved your problem.

Additionally, note that one user reported the "Queyras" demo map as not working, and another user using the Motorolla Devour didn't succeeded in using maps.

Regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Starting with AlpineQuest 1.0.2, a file "alpinequest.log" is created when starting up the application, that log the loading of maps.
You can have a look to this file in order to see which folder is read and the map that are found on it.
You can also send us the file if you have problems.
anderson

Post by anderson »

I clicked on the link on the alpinequest page, but i cannot start up the mobile atlas creator. I either get 'cannot open jar file' or nothing at all happens. I have downloaded the Java update but still nothing. Can anyone help??

Mark

Post by Guest »

I created a map about 1MB. The creator gave it an extension ".tar" as I recall. I changed it to ".AQM" and placed it in the maps directory of my DroidX. I also have downloaded the demo "TamalpaisMountDemo.AQM" and it is in the maps directory. The application sees the Demo map but does not see my "Mike1.AQM". Thus I can not even attempt to load my map.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
I either get 'cannot open jar file' or nothing at all happens
1. Download the AQM Map Creator from here;
2. Extract the content of the .zip file on your desktop (all files will be placed in a sub-folder something like 'Mobile Atlas Creator 1.7.2.AQM');
3. Go inside the new folder and double-click on 'Mobile Atlas Creator.exe' (if you are using Windows).

The application should start. You must have Java 1.6 installed. See the tutorial.
The creator gave it an extension ".tar" as I recall. I changed it to ".AQM"
AQM maps are not tar files.
Like explained in the tutorial, the created maps have a .AQM extension. Look at the last screenshot. That's why your map is not working.
I think you are using MOBAC (and not the AQM Map Creator, a simplified version for creating AQM maps), if that's the case, you must choose the output Atlas format: AlpineQuestMap (AQM).
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

Sorry about mucking up the forum. The Guest posting above is mine. Please feel free to delete it and this posting. Importantly, I found, by looking at "alpinequest.log" file, that the app does not see my "mike1.AQM" because during loading there was an "exception". No specifics were provided.

I will try again to creat a .aqm map file and more carefully note my steps.

Mike