The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] No GPS Icon on AlpineQuest 1.08

Something wrong? Report it here
twoten

[closed] No GPS Icon on AlpineQuest 1.08

Post by twoten »

Thanks for the latest update of AlpineQuest v1.08.

When using GPS there doesn't appear to be any indication that it is running when in the App, if you go to the home page then it shows the GPS icon in the info bar. This confused me for a while, I nearly submitted a bug report because I didn't think the GPS was working. This will confuse users more now because the logical thing to do is close the slider after selecting activate and it will turn the GPS off, if you are recording a track at the time it will stop recording without warning so the user will lose the track info.

The new icon in the info bar showing you are recording a track appears now which is useful.
The error when loading AlpineQuest appears to be OK now.
I like the greyed area showing available map area which shows the map name and loads automatically if centred and zoomed in on when viewing the system map.

Why is there a new icon to open the map at the bottom of the map menu? When you select the map you want to open it loads straight away which would make this icon redundant or is this for a different device?
Samsung Galaxy S4
emvee

Re: No GPS Icon on AlpineQuest 1.08

Post by emvee »

Hi twoten,

I do not 100% follow your post. When you write "When using GPS there doesn't appear to be any indication that it is running" how was it in 1.07 different from 1.08?

I also do not see a "new icon to open the map at the bottom of the map menu". To open a map, I press the menu Phone button and a six box pop-up menu appears with one Maps button but that was also already there for 1.07 AFAIK.
twoten

Post by twoten »

emvee wrote:"When using GPS there doesn't appear to be any indication that it is running" how was it in 1.07 different from 1.08?
I thought the GPS icon showed in the status bar at the top of the map screen indicating when it was activated or did I imagine it?
emvee wrote:"]I also do not see a "new icon to open the map at the bottom of the map menu". To open a map, I press the menu Phone button and a six box pop-up menu appears with one Maps button but that was also already there for 1.07 AFAIK.
When I press the 'menu' button I have the 6 menu items like you, select the map option which opens the list of available maps....Online Maps & Out of bound maps, at the bottom of this screen there's the button with a map icon, selecting this takes you to a map however selecting the map of choice automatically takes you to the map selected so you don't have a chance to select the button because the screen has changed :?

Just realised this takes you back to the map you were viewing, selecting a different map makes this button redundant.
Last edited by twoten on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Samsung Galaxy S4
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
When using GPS there doesn't appear to be any indication that it is running when in the App
You're right. The map view is now in full-screen mode so the Android status bar is hidden.
When activating the option that allows you to close the geolocation tab and keep the GPS on, you have no more visual tip that shows the GPS is on.
You need to press the 'Menu' button to show the Android status bar and the GPS icon. Maybe it could be good to:
- Add an setting to turn off the full screen if some people don't like it;
- Add a GPS icon in the AlpineQuest status bar (close to the center location coordinates) that shows if the GPS is on, because we cannot rely anymore on the GPS tab (if auto-gps setting turned off).
The new icon in the info bar showing you are recording a track appears now which is useful
Me too. It was a very good idea. Thanks emvee.
I'll try to add more info in it, like some stats on the recording track.
Why is there a new icon to open the map at the bottom of the map menu?
emvee is right, this button has always been here. I just changed the background color to be more UI complient with Android.
This button is a back button, like the one in the Landmarks view. I admit that right now not really useful (you can use the phone's back button), but I kept it there because I plan to add other buttons for new features (like creating folders).

Cam
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
bastien

Post by bastien »

Hello,
It's only my advise but I like this option.

I don't like the full screen because we can't see the original status bar with the clock or other notification offered by other app ...

The "AlpineQuest status bar" is not necessary for me (and maybe other users). I don't use de location coordinates. So maybe you could add an option to switch between the "original status" bar and the "AlpineQuest status bar".

Thanks for this version and the new features.
twoten

Post by twoten »

AlpineQuest wrote: When activating the option that allows you to close the geolocation tab and keep the GPS on, you have no more visual tip that shows the GPS is on.
You need to press the 'Menu' button to show the Android status bar and the GPS icon. Maybe it could be good to:
- Add a GPS icon in the AlpineQuest status bar (close to the center location coordinates) that shows if the GPS is on, because we cannot rely anymore on the GPS tab (if auto-gps setting turned off).)
If I set to record a track, close the GPS tab, the GPS still deactivates, was this charged to stay on in this version if the GPS tab is closed?
I would prefer to see the status bar instead of the coordinates information. If the Status bar shows Tracking, GPS, battery, message and signal strength would be far more useful than the coordinate information.
Could we have options for viewing coordinate bar and/or status bar.
AlpineQuest wrote:emvee is right, this button has always been here. I just changed the background color to be more UI complient with Android.
This button is a back button, like the one in the Landmarks view. I admit that right now not really useful (you can use the phone's back button), but I kept it there because I plan to add other buttons for new features (like creating folders)
I can see the reason for keeping, maybe changing the map icon to a return icon would be more logical.
Samsung Galaxy S4
twoten

Post by twoten »

Sorry folks, I missed the new option in the settings 'Auto Toggle Geolocation' This makes the Tracking act as I would expect it to, when closing the GPS tab, going to the home screen or another app the tracking and GPS continues, brilliant! I think this is the way users would expect this to work and might be worth setting as the default action for new installs.

I see that when the Geolocation tab is open and you move out of AlpineQuest the GPS swithces off and returning to the AlpineQuest turns it on again until the tab is closed, nice!
Samsung Galaxy S4