The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] GPS erratic accuracy on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7"

Something wrong? Report it here
Bern

[closed] GPS erratic accuracy on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7"

Post by Bern »

Sirs

Having trawled the net for an answer to this problem, to no avail, I am wondering if anyone else has an idea to the issue.

I have been using Alpinequest on a Samsung phone for about 2 years with no problem, I have installed Alpinequest (1.4.21) onto the Galaxy Tab and the accuracy is now all over the place. I took the Galaxy out for a walk today and the tracking sort of follows the actual path but with a deviation of at lease 0.5km (westward). This error would continue for at least 1km and then turning a corner the deviation can again be up to 0.3km (northward) out. I also had the phone running and that tracking was correct.

I reinstalled 1.4.20 and wondered if that was an issue, of course it made no difference. I noticed the first time I used the Galaxy that it was receiving upto 25 satellites whereas the Samsung phone would normally receive about 10-12 satellites. I have now learned that the Galaxy uses both US GPS and Russian GLONASS, hence the higher satellite count, and that should improve accuracy. I am suspicious that the Galaxy is not happy with the two sources of GPS data. I have tried to discover if I can disable the GLONASS system but that option is not available.

Any ideas ?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: GPS erratic accuracy on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7"

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again and sorry for the delay.

I personally don't think your issue is due to the GLONASS support, lots of devices use both systems without any problem.

You should try to reset the AGPS data and make a cold start (you can use an app like the free "GPS Status" to do that).
Also, you should try to leave the positioning system actively running for some time, it may correct the shift itself.

Apart from that, I do not see any other thing to do.
Hope you'll solve this issue
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Bern

Post by Bern »

Hi

Thanks for responding. I went out on 136 mile trip yesterday for about 6 hours stopping at shops, restaurants etc and left the device running all the time. The device was placed in the sun visor so it had no real direct line of site of the sky. The tracking was absolutely accurate with no deviations at all.

I forgot to mention earlier that the tracking was always accurate in the car but after a short distance of walking it would go inaccurate until I was back at the car. I have done 3 walks so far with this set up and each time its the same.

I will try as you suggest and post back any further developements.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Bern
Bern

Post by Bern »

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions, of which I have tried to no avail. I have set the tablet to factory settings and reinstalled everything ... still not working correctly.

I have attached a route I took today, the Blue track is on my phone and the Red track is on the tablet ... quiet a difference. I notice that the red track is 'juddery' whereas the blue track is quite smooth. "GPS Status" shows around 18 satellites and the phone about 9.

I am posting this really just for interest. I wonder if the GPS unit in the tablet is faulty !

Regards

Bern
Attachments
Track with 2 GPS units.jpg
A walk using a tablet and a phone
(183.24 KiB) Downloaded 5315 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for your update.
Yes it seems clear that something's wrong with your GPS... I can't even find any logic in the error shift...
You should maybe try to get an exchange if your device is still under warranty.
Bern

Post by Bern »

Hi

I will try returning the item, but if it is a bug in the Samsung (Android) software then the replacement may be as bad, i'll let you know. Such a shame, as I bought this mainly for using AlpineQuest with great resolution and facilities.

Thanks for your time anyway.

Regards

Bern

End
Bern

Post by Bern »

Sir

Well, the Samsung has gone back with a full refund even having had it for nearly 3 months !

Does anyone in the forum know of a device similar to the 7" Samsung (no phone only a tablet) that will work well and have an SD slot ?

Regards

Bern
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I personally don't know well any 7'' tab, so can't help you for this.
However I'm pretty sure this issue concerned your particular device, and not the model in general (I've a Galaxy Tap 10'' which works perfectly), so you may give another try...
Best regards
Bern

Post by Bern »

Hi

Thanks for that, I have considered getting another Tab 4 7" device, so maybe I should go ahead so long as the retailer will allow me to return it if it shows the same fault.

I'll let you know.

Regards

Bern
Bern

Post by Bern »

Sir

The final installment to this problem.

I contacted Samsung with this problem. This is part of the reply I got from them:-
"I can state that we have no complaints of the GPS signals on the Kit-kat version, however I can state that we have just recently released the software update Lollipop 5.0 ........ The new software will eliminate any issues you are currently facing with the Kit-Kat update."

That sounds to me that they have had problems, in any case I took the unit back and got a refund. So its back to the little screen on my phone.

Thanks for all of your time and keep up the fantastic work you are doing with AlpineQuest.

Many Regards
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Bern wrote:Hi

Thanks for that, I have considered getting another Tab 4 7" device, so maybe I should go ahead so long as the retailer will allow me to return it if it shows the same fault.

I'll let you know.

Regards

Bern
Interesting. I've not noticed any issues with GPS accuracy on my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 running stock Android 4.4.2, although my device is rooted. I use a fantastic utility for keeping the AGPS info up to date on all of my Android GPS devices, GPS Status just sits in the background and works flawlessly. Well worth the very small investment and it compliments AQ perfectly.

Note that I don't take my tablet on walks, I use my Galaxy S3 for that. However, it does get extensive use as an in car navigation aid running both AQ and Osmand+ simultaneously, which is how I can vouch for the GPS accuracy.

I see that you've been round my neck of the woods in Harewood :-)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok this is good! Thanks for the update.