The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Suggestions for improving ROUTE navigation

Any question about the app? Ask it here
MarcT

[closed] Suggestions for improving ROUTE navigation

Post by MarcT »

Many thanks for producing this new release (1.4.9) ! It has a few great features added, especially the displaying of the current map level, the text export of stats, and the "follow path" option for tracks (with warning if we stray away beyond a configurable threshold).
I have one remark : The map zoom level indication is nice. For example "2/5 (13)" means you are currently displaying the map at zoom level 13, but this map can be seen from zoom level 12 to 16. Fine, but with On-board maps it seems I only get "2/5" , the absolute zoom level between parenthesis is not displayed :(

More importantly, I would like to make some suggestions concerning Route navigation:
The only way left in version 1.4.9, to follow a Route is "Auto target closest" which does not make any sense to me, for following a Route. The concept of a route is that you go from WP1 to WP2 to WP3 etc. or backwards (from WP3 to WP2 to WP1). If I am at WP1, using my compass, I fail to see how does "auto target closest" help me in finding my way = the next target WP?? The target will always be WP1 as it is always the closest … not very helpful. So I suggest these changes in AQ for the Routes:
• Remove option "Auto target closest"
• Add 2 options (which existed somehow in v 1.4.8): "Auto target following" & "Auto target preceding", with a common setting = the min distance at which the next WP on the route is selected. For example, with "Auto target following" & threshold = 50m, as soon as I am at less than 50m from WP1, the target WP indicated by the compass becomes automatically WP2. OK?
• I suggest you also add two buttons (capabilities): "Target Next WP" & "Target previous WP" so that hikers can adjust their navigation according to terrain conditions (obstacles, misplaced WP).
With my previous example: if a user selects "Auto target following" & threshold = 50m, and he is walking with WP3 for example as target. At a certain point, when he is still farther than 50m from WP3, he realizes that, WP3 is misplaced, and it is much simpler to skip WP3 and target directly WP4, then he could instruct his AQ navigator to "target next Wp". Ok?
• I also suggest to implement a warning of some sort (voice announcement, or beep) each time a target WP is reached and the next one is selected.
Finally I think you could correct a small (but annoying) bug: When I browse the content of a route, I see the waypoints correctly numbered ("Waypoint 1", "Waypoint 2", "Waypoint 3", etc.). However the Compass details window always calls the current target "Waypoint" without the number! so it is impossible to know, from the Compass details window which Waypoint on the route is currently the target.

Thanks again! I hope I am not asking too much.
Congratulations again for this great software!
Marc
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for improving ROUTE navigation

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll see what I can do concerning the zoom value for on-board maps.

Concerning the route following, you're right, the new 'Follow path' feature only works with tracks right now. The main reason is that locations need to be close each ones to each others, otherwise it doesn't work well, since distances are only computed on locations. The other reason is that you can now manually create tracks just like route.
However, it's planned to improve this feature and support routes as well.

Note that the "Auto target closest" is not intended to be a navigation feature. It's just help when being at a location, surrounded by many waypoints, to find the closest one.

Concerning your suggestions:
- "Auto target following" & "Auto target preceding": I guess this will be OK once routes will be supported by the follow path feature;
- Remove option "Auto target closest": I think it can be useful as an independent feature, as explained above;
- "Target Next WP" & "Target previous WP": good ideas. I just have to figure where to put this buttons and when re-starting the auto target on the path;
- To implement a warning each time a target WP is reached and the next one is selected: very good idea;
- However the Compass details window always calls the current target "Waypoint": I'll correct that.

I'll try to make as much changes in the next version. I'll let you know.
Thanks
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
MarcT

Post by MarcT »

Thank you for your positive reaction to almost all my suggestions !

let me give you my opinion

- "Auto target following" & "Auto target preceding": I guess this will be OK once routes will be supported by the follow path feature;
Maybe I am nitpicking here, but let me share my view of this : Please do not call this option "follow path" but "follow route". there is a fundamental difference between these 2. Following an existing track means someone has walked here before you and you are supposed to follow in his steps as closely as possible. Whereas Route navigation is when you are only sure about a few points on your way (the route's waypoints) but you are not sure what path to follow exactly from WP to WP. so route navigation relies on the compass to indicate the direction & distance to next WP, while the hiker has to find his precise way taking into consideration the terrain conditions.
[*]when you follow a track, you are not supposed to stray away from the track more than a max distance (which can be input in AQ).
[*]when you follow a route, the distance to input into AQ should be the minimum distance to the target WP, below which the next WP becomes the target.
[/color]
- Remove option "Auto target closest": I think it can be useful as an independent feature, as explained above;
OK

- "Target Next WP" & "Target previous WP": good ideas. I just have to figure where to put this buttons and when re-starting the auto target on the path;
Well, the most natural place is the contextual menu of a route which has already been set as target.
I mean, when a route is set as target, if you press (on the map) on any waypoint of this route, you see the route name (and this particular waypoint's name). If you select the route, you have a contextual menu containing for example "Remove target". you could add "Target next WP" & "Target previous WP" to this menu.

thanks again!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I have released version 1.4.10 and added back the "Follow route" option, working much better than the previous one.
I did not have the time to more things about this feature, but I'll do it in the next version. I would like to add the Next & Previous buttons like you suggested, but maybe in a new view containing various navigation information. It's really missing now.
Best regards
MarcT

Post by MarcT »

Many thanks!
Your fast reactions to the users suggestions are amazing!
I am looking forward to the new improvements in Route navigations. Keep up the good work!
MarcT

Post by MarcT »

Thanks for all the improvement you made on Route navigation :)

I signaled above one bug you promised to correct... I believe it is easy to correct :
When I browse the content of a route, I see the waypoints correctly numbered ("Waypoint 1", "Waypoint 2", "Waypoint 3", etc.). However the Compass details window always calls the current target "Waypoint" without the number! so it is impossible to know, from the Compass details window which Waypoint on the route is currently the target.

Can you pls correct this? Thanks!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Sorry for having missed that one.
I have made the changes, it will be available in the next update these days.
Best regards