The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] AQM image quality better in other apps

Any question about the app? Ask it here
saturnreturn

[fixed] AQM image quality better in other apps

Post by saturnreturn »

Hi,

When I open the same AQM file in AlpineQuest and MyTrails, the map looks better in MyTrails compared to AlpineQuest. See the images below for comparisons. It is quite subtle, but they look slightly sharper and crisper compared to AQ. Can you think why this would be?

AlpineQuest

MyTrails
jolly47roger

Re: AQM image quality better in other apps

Post by jolly47roger »

These maps are not quite at the same scale. If (and it's a big if) MyTrails is matching pixel to pixel but AlpineQuest is not then that would account for the difference.
saturnreturn

Post by saturnreturn »

I know what you mean - that's why I posted my other question about the default zoom level: MyTrails doesn't seem to let you have so much control over the zoom, you just get the map at its actual size, i.e. at it's sharpest, and one level of "overzoom".

With my other forum topic I was trying to find out whether AlpineQuest defaults to the actual resolution of the image.

I guess the ideal in AQ would be to have a notch on the zoom slider where it clicks in to to get the actual-size, sharpest image, but then allows both over and underzoom like currently.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Thanks for this interesting topic.
I think that jolly47roger is right. AlpineQuest allows users to under or over-zoom maps, which needs one more processing of the images before displaying them.
In theory, a zoom ratio of "1.0" should be identical to a pixel by pixel copy but:
- Getting a ratio of exactly 1 using the slider is hard;
- The image printing function used that allows resizing is different from the simple image copy function, and it's not sure that even using it with a resize ratio of 1, it will give the same result than pixel by pixel copy.

A way to get a ratio of 1 as you suggest and a special handling of this ratio value should work, I'll try to do it as soon as possible (considering the little difference if image quality I don't put it in high priority).

Note that in next version, the zoom ratio is much more wide and allows to change map levels. I'll wait to release this version to work on that.
Best regards.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
fiftysomething

Post by fiftysomething »

I know this is an old post but... I'd be **very** interested to know if MyTrails can open AlpineQuest .AQM files...which is what is implied by this question???
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
It seems that older versions can, but newer ones don't.
But I can't give you more details...
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !