The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Smoother display and smoother interaction with fingers

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Miguel

[done] Smoother display and smoother interaction with fingers

Post by Miguel »

Hi,
I use this app all the time out in the field and is great; but one thing that I'd really appreciate was if you could improve the interaction with the fingers. There are two problems, one is that the map refresh in not smooth, especially when you change zoom (it is kind of slow); and the other is that the possible zoom levels are fixed, you cannot have intermediate zooms, you have to jump between them. The combination of the two makes the navigation with the fingers quite "bumpy" and frequently the map jumps to another place nearby without apparent reason. I'd really appreaciate if you make something like the Google Maps app, whose panning, zooming and rotating is smooth all the way! This makes a lot of difference because, basically, I'm panning and zooming most of the time.
I understand that this improvement might not be easy to do, though...!
Thanks and congrats!
Miguel
Miguel

Re: Smoother display and smoother interaction with fingers

Post by Miguel »

Sorry I missed that there was an option for problem #2! Great.
Anywa, #1 is up. Improving the map rendering speed would be great, because on very high-res devices (like Nexus 5), the display is slow especially when zooming.
Cheers,
Miguel
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes as you have found you can disable the lock on the zoom levels. Note that you can also use the 'Zoom slider', that allows you to zoom without the fingers.
You can also double-tap the map to zoom it in.

Concerning the slow rendering, I've never noticed something really bad, except if you use MemoryMap maps.
I'll check few things but I'm afraid it won't be possible to speed it up, otherwise it would have been done already...

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
It depends on the device; using a low resolution device, all goes smooth. On a high res device, a bit slow, for example, when you zoom out, it takes some time for the white areas to be repainted with the map. However, the other apps that use maps render very smoothly (G.Maps and other trekking apps, which renders very smoothly).
The strange thing is that, even if you set the "map display size" to very big, the rendering remains slow; I would expect that this would increase rendering speed because much less pixels need to be processed.
Ok, it's not really a big problem...
Cheers,
Miguel
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Have you tried to change the storage folder of the data? (it's a preference in the application settings).
I mean if it's currently on the device internal memory, try to store it on the external SD card, or vice-versa.
On my HTC, the internal memory is much slower.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Hello,
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think Nexus 5 does not have any other option than internal memory; the SD card is emulated...
Anyway, the bottleneck seems to be at the processing level, not at the memory reading, because it is the refresh rate which is low, not the fetching of new tiles. Basically speaking, the problem is a low refresh rate. Remember the display resolution is very high.
But yeah, it's not that bad, it's a great app!

Still related to finger interaction, there's a little bug or something, when you are zooming out and the two fingers come very close, the app seems to "read" only one finger and the image suddenly jumps, instead of continuing the smooth zooming process.
All the best,
Miguel
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
OK sorry for the SD card, I was thinking of the S5.
I'll try to test the app on an Nexus 5, but this issue seems quite "abnormal" anyway. Yes, the resolution is very high, but the device has the power to handle it. And it's nearly the same resolution as the S5 which doesn't show your problem...