The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Hidden files and folder: hostility?

Something wrong? Report it here
Dorjee

[closed] Hidden files and folder: hostility?

Post by Dorjee »

Hi,

I generated with AQ jpg, txt, gpx, kml and so on files; I would like to copy these files in my PC. I connect my smartphone as usually and...

1) Z130\Carte SD\alpinequest\landmarks folder is empty! (which is a lie, I can see the files in my smartphone with file manager).

2) Z130\Carte SD\alpinequest\exports is not visible (which is a lie I can see it in file manager on the phone)

I found a trick to copy these files in my PC: I created a Temp folder at roots of the memcard in the phone and I copied the files in this folder. Then I copied this folder in my PC and found the files.

3) I shot two pictures from AQ app and they are in Z130\Carte SD\DCIM\Camera folder. But it is not possible to make any action on these two pics, not copying in a Temp in phone, not copying in my PC, not changing the name or extension of these pics.

So, what is the purpose of these limitations, hostility?
It's a challenge but I will finish to get the pictures too!

Congrat!
Dorjee

Re: Hidden files and folder: hostility?

Post by Dorjee »

Concerning the pics, I finally considered the Z130\Carte SD\alpinequest\pictures folder where I found my pics and copied them in my PC. Right. I don't know what are these ghost pics in DCIM folder. When I put the memcard in my computer they disapeared... When I tried to open them with a pic software (say ACDSee) their name was strange...

Name of file in AQ/pictures: 2013-12-08_14-31-47.JPG
Name of ghost files in DCIM\Camera folder: IMG_20131208_143206.jpg
Name in an open window of a soft: {00000697-0001-0001-0000-000000000000}

Name of file in AQ/pictures: 2013-12-08_15-04-41.JPG
Name of ghost files in DCIM\Camera folder: IMG_20131208_150457.jpg
Name in an open window of a soft: {00000698-0001-0001-0000-000000000000}

As I didn't take any other pics, it's sure there is something between images and "ghost" images...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Various things can lead to what you are describing.

If you used the USB cable with the MTP connection mode to copy your files, you were maybe faced to an Android issue, not properly displaying files on the phone or vice versa (not showing files created with the PC to phone apps). The issue is described here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=38282. The workaround is to use the USB Mass Storage mode to be sure to see the same files from your phone and from your PC.

No ghost or hidden files are created by the app, just regular files using the common methods provided by Android.

Concerning your pics: AlpineQuest uses an installed camera application to take pictures (usually it's a pre-installed Camera app). All devices/phone brands/Android versions can have different Camera applications installed, and all behave differently when launched by another application (instead of the user itself from a home shortcut):
- Sometimes the quality is limited (that's the case on my HTC);
- Sometimes the Camera app requires a path where to store the taken picture (it doesn't want to use the usual DCIM folder, in this case AlpineQuest provides "alpinequest/pictures/");
- Sometimes it stores the pictures in the DCIM folder, ignoring the provided path;
- Sometimes it stores one picture in the DCIM folder and a copy in the provided path, sometimes both pictures with different qualities.

AlpineQuest try to detect all these cases, and only keeps the higher quality picture. You can check the final picture path from the app (which it's not necessarily the DCIM one, sometimes it's "alpinequest/pictures/"). Then, using the USB Mass Storage mode, you should see your pics from your PC without issues.

Let me know if it helps,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Dorjee

Post by Dorjee »

Great thanks for these explanations and Android subtilities. Apologize for suspicious.
Bye!