The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Micro SD failure

Something wrong? Report it here
Mark184

[closed] Micro SD failure

Post by Mark184 »

Let me start by noting the issue below is NOT a fault of AlpineQuest, but perhaps more likely a hardware design issue as I've discovered in forums about my cell phone.

I have the Samsung S4. I took it, loaded with AlpineQuest and a bunch of downloaded maps, on a recent backpack trip into some cold weather (low 30's at night in tent). I had a bunch of maps stored on the microSD card. All was working well until midway thru the trip, when I recieved an "SD card failure" on the home screen on the phone. When I launched AlpineQuest, none of my downloaded maps were available. When I used the phones file browser, it showed no SD card avail. So clearly my SD card failed. I've read this (SD card failure) is a common occurance on Samsung phones (?). (This actually happened on my old S3 once too).

Which leads me to the obvious question that I have not figured out. Is it possible to store maps on the phone's internal memory which seems to be more stable than the external SD card storage. I see the settings option for SD card path, but nothing to steer map storage away from the SD card.

Any insights?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Micro SD failure

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for your issue.

Yes you can store your maps on the internal memory.
You have 2 options:
- define the internal storage of your device as the default storage for AlpineQuest (so everything will be stored in the internal memory). To do that, edit the 'SD Card' setting you mentioned. Here is some help. You should set something like '/mnt/sdcard/' that should be your internal memory (SD is usually under '/mnt/sdcard/ext_sdcard/', but it depends on manufacturers and Android versions).
- leave the external SD card as the default storage for AlpineQuest (for storing cached maps, landmarks, ...), and use the AlpineQuest Maps Explorer to browse your maps on the internal memory. Here is some help. From the maps explorer (onboard maps section), press the 'back' button until storage devices are listed, and select "Device" to browse all your device memory, and locate the internal storage.

Let me know if you need more help,
Best regards

By the way, don't hesitate to share a picture of your trip on our facebook!
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Mark184

Post by Mark184 »

Thanks is much for your fast reply!

So I used the Alpinequest browser to figure out the path to my internal storage (thanks for this tip). Looks like the path is /storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/maps. So if I wish all my alpinequest data be steered to internal memory, should I just leave off the "maps" of the string above, and alpinequest will create the appropriate sub folders? (Using the "sd card path" dialog in settings).

Again, many thanks. Your customer support is extraordinarily great.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Based on your internal storage path, you'll have to set the 'SD Card path' setting to "/storage/emulated/0/".

It may seems tricky, but you must not include 'alpinequest', since this setting refers to the SD card path, and not the AlpineQuest folder path. After the restart, the app will create the 'alpinequest' folder and all sub-folders if needed.
Mark184

Post by Mark184 »

Thanks! I did as above, getting rid of all the extra alpinequest folders first, set new path, restarted-- works like a charm. Hopefully the internal storage will be more dependable than the SD card.

Once again, thanks for the help!
Mark184

Post by Mark184 »

For what it's worth, I just posted a track image and a huge endorcement for this software on my personal Facebook page. (same picture I just posed to the Alpinequest FB page). Great software, plus exceptional customer support should be known about!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes thanks a lot, I have just noticed it!