The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Safety for hikers.

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Enoch.72

[closed] Safety for hikers.

Post by Enoch.72 »

Hi,

I have a new suggestion for your great app.

Sometimes, during my walks over the nearby mountains, happens that I'm without buddies, and I'm used to think what I should do in case of accident. Well, you know, I think that find signal enough to call for help it's not always easy and maybe it is also difficult to share accurate informations which could allows the rescue team of finding you, expecially if you are catched by panic.

So, that's the idea, would be possible to integrate an emergency service in your app which could, for example, once pressed (and maybe confirmed) a button (can we call them so?) copy the geolocation data in the clipboard including gps accuracy, date/time, elevations, ecc.? Then would be easy to paste all the data in a sms and send it to a friend/wife/rescue service, ecc.

Yes, if the app could also prepare the sms maybe leaving the user to choice to who send the messagge would be amazing (customizable text??).

I thought to the SMS because I consider generally easier to have network for them than for data. In case the mobile doesn't receive any signal the messagge is tipically stored in the outgoing box and before or later a minimum necessary signal will arrive.

Maybe I made it easy but as said is just an idea. What do you think about?

Thank you so much in advance.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Safety for hikers.

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your suggestion.
You're right that it could be very nice, and may be very useful in certain cases.
I had plan to add a "share location by sms" feature in the past, which is not so far from that, unfortunately technical issues prevented me to go further. In few words, sending SMS with the device requires permissions like accessing user's SMS and using paid services. Adding these permissions would prevent for sure some users to install the app, and others to complain about them. So the only way to do it, is to use a plugged-in feature, independently installable, which requires a lot of work (nothing like that is available right now). But, this plug-in feature is on our planned list, and when it's available, SMS related features would be easily added...
Thanks again, and sorry about that
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !