The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] Geoid elevation in GPX exported file

Any question about the app? Ask it here
rac

[done] Geoid elevation in GPX exported file

Post by rac »

Hi,

Thanks for the new 1.4.6 release.

I have some questions concerning the elevation values saved in gpx exported file.

1) the elevation values are the GPS measured ones? I think is it the case, and not the "geoid" based calculation ones.

2) there is some option to choose between the two "elevation" values to export? It would be very nice to have it.

Thanks
Rac
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Geoid elevation in GPX exported file

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes the GPS elevation is stored, as required by the GPX format (made for GPS data).
However there is a way to also store the geoid height in addition to the GPS elevation, so I can add an user setting to activate this feature (I don't want to add this feature by default since it will significantly increase the file size, and most of external applications simply ignore this value and only use the GPS elevation).
Let me know if you need this.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
rac

Post by rac »

Hi,

I see.
The problem I am facing is when I upload a gpx saved track to, for example, wikiloc. The height shown have big differences (more than 50 m) to the more accurate geiod ones. It's weird to see a track done at see level to be shown around 50 or more meters of height.

Thanks
Rac
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes I understand.
I'll add this option so geoid height can be also exported, maybe wikiloc will be able to use them (it's part of the GPX specification).
rac

Post by rac »

Thanks, I'll appreciate.

Best regards
Rac
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I have released version 1.4.7 with a new user settings called 'landmarks.features.offlinelandmarks.formats.gpx.geoidheight_export' (see here) that makes the app writing the geoid height tag in the GPX files.
It's a standard field defined by the GPX format, however you have to check if your website will use it properly.
Let me know