The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] outdoor GPS never gets a fix

Something wrong? Report it here
JamesColeman47

[closed] outdoor GPS never gets a fix

Post by JamesColeman47 »

my outdoor GPS always says waiting for fix.

any thoughts?

thanks!
JamesColeman47

Re: outdoor GPS never gets a fix

Post by JamesColeman47 »

I guess my GPS is broken.. I downloaded gps test.. it says the GPS is on but it never gets a fix.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: outdoor GPS never gets a fix

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for this report.
You can have a look in the Geolocation details window in AlpineQuest to see if you get some satellites, or just none. You will need few satellites to get a location.
You can also have a look at the Android top notification bar: when the GPS is in use, a small icon is displayed. If this icon blinks, it means that the GPS is searching for satellites.

Note that you must be outside to get the GPS working (you need a clear access to the sky). If you are inside, you can use the Network to get a location instead of the GPS (that's what Google Maps does), but you will get a much less precise location.

Let me know
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
AdrienBe

Re: [closed] outdoor GPS never gets a fix

Post by AdrienBe »

There may be something to do with the GPS automatically turning off when switching application or turning your screen off??

I have the same issue and when I turn the screen on and go on AlpineQuest app & live it open, it does pick up the GPS signal usually.

Not sure what's going on either as I did use it once and it worked perfectly.
Tried to use it again but never got it working again... very frustating.

Any "good practice" instructions!?

Thanky in advance.
AdrienBe

Post by AdrienBe »

FYI: I just checked & the checkbox in "settings > GPS Localisation > Disable in background" is indeed unticked.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Did you make it work?

If the option "Disable in background" is checked, then AlpineQuest will stop requesting the GPS while not showing, and will request the GPS again as soon as it's displayed (the GPS is not really turned off like what you can do in the Android setting, it's just not used). This option is recommended in order not to extensively use the battery while not using displaying the application. Of course, it will require a small time for AlpineQuest to retrieve a new GPS location...

Also, in the GPS Location details of AlpineQuest, you can have the detail of the GPS satellites, to check what's going on (if at least you receive few GPS). Be sure to be placed at a place you have a large access to the sky.

Let me know if you have any more issue.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !