The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Temporary GPS Route Tracker

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Yemble

[closed] Temporary GPS Route Tracker

Post by Yemble »

I quite like the temporary route tracker that AQ displays by default when the GPS is activated (blue line). However, I would like to take control of it :D

I cannot really get my head around how long the temporary track stays active for, but it is certainly longer when driving than when walking. I would like an option (within Settings) to keep this temporary track active whilst AQ is running, but discard it when AQ is exited (or the GPS is deactivated). Maybe also give the user a way to save the track if required and analyse it as well... like "how long was that walk dad?"

This would be much better than Memory-Map which does not discard its temporary tracks and so they tend to accumulate... which is annoying!

I know that you can activate the permenant tracker from the menu, but I NEVER remember to do that :o
Yemble

Re: Temporary GPS Route Tracker

Post by Yemble »

Having thought about this a bit more, I reckon that this would be a good candidate to include on the cross-hair dialog (that we discussed previously), rather than within Settings. So there could be a tick option to Enable Auto Track along with icons for View Externally (discussed before), Track Details (track details dialog), Save Track (saves the current state of the auto track to a permanent track name) and Edit Track (to allow colour change, etc.). Basically just hooking into the existing Track routines.

The configuration options (Enable/Disable, colour, etc.) should be persistent, however, the temporary nature of this track should be retained, so that it is discarded automatically (unless it has been specifically saved) without prompting when:

1) The Auto Track option is disabled
2) The GPS is deactivated
3) AQ is exited

The behaviour of AQ with Auto Track disabled should be as it is currently, ie. a short dynamic track, although it should still use the colour defined above (blue as default).

As a slight aside... what is the subtle difference between a route and a track, given that both seem to be a collection of connected waypoints - other than the restricted editing features of track waypoints? Is it just that tracks generate their own waypoints automatically, or is there more to it than that?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Temporary GPS Route Tracker

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
We are talking about a new feature here!
"Temporary tracker" is a great word here for what I personally call "last GPS locations list" ;) (as far as I remember it's the last 20 locations).
Even if it can be improved, what is sure is that it's cleared each time the GPS feature is turned off (like when existing the app, turning off the screen or starting another application), so it's quite risky to use it as a tracker... Also, the "real" tracker is really optimized for using as few battery as possible, this one is clearly not and would be a battery killer...
But it's true that having a popup allowing some action like you're suggesting would be nice. Maybe a nice thing would be to have a 'Send to tracker' button that would start the real tracker and fill it with the current list of locations...
I'll have a look at that,
Thanks for the suggestions
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !