The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[done] AQ 1.4.1 Feedback - Custom Icons

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Yemble

[done] AQ 1.4.1 Feedback - Custom Icons

Post by Yemble »

Many thanks for this - it works exactly as I had envisaged :-)

Just one question...

In Memory-Map, my WalkingWorld icons, which are essentially circular, are show as circles, with the surrounding whitespace made transparent. In AQ (and incidentally, also ViewRanger), the same icons are shown as squares, with the whitespace being displayed as a white square, rather than being transparent.

I guess that MM filters all pure white pixels from the edges of icon and makes them transparent before displaying. This makes for a much nicer appearance on the map.

Is there any chance of something similar being implemented in AQ. Or, if the transparency capability already exists with the built-in icons, what do I need to do to implement it in my custom icons?
Last edited by Yemble on Wed May 22, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: AQ 4.1 Feedback - Custom Icons

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Transparent icons are working fine (I made a tutorial using a transparent icon) at least in PNG format. However, no filtering is done on pixels, so white pixels will be displayed white. I find that asserting white pixels to be transparent by default is a bit too intrusive, since a lot of icons would have white pixels in their graphics (and not necessarily the background).

Using an application like ImageMagic, you could convert a set of icons towards a format supporting transparency, and filter white pixels, but I don't know how hard it is to learn using it.
Could you send me one of your icons, so I can have a look at the format and see what I can do?
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

I had a look at one of the BMP files in Paint and the borders were, as I suspected, pure white. After some head scratching and a bit of Web trawling, I found a neat method in Photoshop of converting the background white (borders only) into transparent, within the Save for Web dialog. This produces GIF files rather than BMP, but they work a treat within AQ.

I guess that the MM method must be a bit of a legacy thing for BMP files.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Ok that's perfect so.
Thanks for the feedback.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !