The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Barometric height

Any question about the app? Ask it here

[closed] Barometric height

Post by Guest »

Having just acquired a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with a barometric sensor I have been able to try out the new barometric elevation feature. All I can say is: Brilliant! Another great addition to an already outstanding app.

I did a bike ride on fairly flat ground, so not much vertical variation, which was an out and back route, following the same path on the outward and return legs. The height profile in the track graph was very pleasingly symmetrical, and the heights agreed with the Ordnance Survey map.

I note that some of the other altimeter apps available use online pressure calibration data from nearby airports, which may be worth considering.

Many thanks for a brilliant app, and it costs less than one Ordnance Survey paper map.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Barometric height

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your feedback!
Concerning the barometer calibration, AlpineQuest uses another method based on the GPS altitudes, which I found much better since:
- It doesn't need any network (so works even with data networks turned off);
- Calibration is always based on fresh data (online data pressures can come from the quite far place, and may not be updated so often, so can be quite different than the pressure at the current place and time);
- The GPS is anyway turned on for the tracking anyway, so it doesn't require additional power.
The value that would be retrieved from online, can be displayed in AlpineQuest's graph as 'P0 sea level pressure' (change one Y axis to choose this value).
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !