The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Map does not rotate w/Archos 5 IT 32gb FW 1.9.26

Something wrong? Report it here
dmtchico

[closed] Map does not rotate w/Archos 5 IT 32gb FW 1.9.26

Post by dmtchico »

HI, This is my first premium user post.
THANKS FOR YOUR PRODUCT.

I think I have tried every setting I can see, and the maps will not rotate to the direction of travel.

This archos does not have a built-in magnetic compass, if that matters.

Please let me know if there is currently a way for your application to rotate the displayed maps to the direction of travel.

THANKS AGAIN for your product.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Map does not rotate w/Archos 5 IT 32gb Android FW 1.9.26

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, the map rotation uses the magnetic field sensor. This is the only way to set the map's north correctly according to the real north.
It seems that the Archos 5 IT has a fake sensor for compatibility reasons but which only returns 0 as azimuth.
Based on that, do you think that a manual rotation of the map could be useful for devices that doesn't support automatic rotation ? It could be a solution...
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

Hello, and Thanks for your prompt reply.

Thanks for your suggestion and request for input, but an automatic rotation of the map, so that my direction of travel is always up, is what I would most prefer. Other Mapping Apps, that I have, do this on my Archos when movint, but I am very pleased with how AlpineQuest handles the map zooming, and would I prefer it over all but one other App that I have.

Another (Archos only?) problem that I am encountering is that I have "All waypoint names" checked in the settings, but still only "focused" waypoints are displayed on my maps.

If you would like me to start another topic for this question I will.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Concerning the map rotation problem without orientation sensor, the only other way to do it automatically is to use the GPS. Using the last fixes it is possible to deduce a direction (ie walking towards Sud-East) and so rotate the map according to that. But this is a very un-precise rotation, moreover you need to move, to wait for some GPS positions, etc, and it wont update if you change your direction without moving. Can you confirm that the automatic rotation you are talking about acts like that ?
It is much more appreciable to use the orientation sensor when available, but for devices like yours the GPS orientation could be useful. I'll add this feature.

Concerning the "All waypoint names", here is how it works:
Considering a GPX file with 10 named waypoints inside, when you select one of them, it will be focused but other waypoints will also be displayed on the map.
If the option is unchecked, only then name of the focused one will be displayed.
If the option is checked, all 10 waypoint names will be displayed.
Usually it's better to check this option, but when you have thousand of waypoints withing a single file, it can fill the entire screen with names which is not useful.
It doesn't apply on routes/tracks.
It doesn't apply on unnamed waypoints (ie default named as 'Waypoint 1'...). You need to give them a name: long click -> Rename.
Let me know if it's alright or not on your device
Regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
dmtchico

Post by dmtchico »

Hello and Thanks again for your reply AQ Team.

1. Yes, you are correct, the auto-rotation that I referred to would need to be based on a few previous GPS readings.
If you could address this (and make it known) I'm sure that many non-phone users would appreciate it.

2. I guess I am unsure how to save a 'selected group' of previously defined waypoints to a user defined .gpx file. I woulh like to be able to select from my current waypoints for a particular city/area, and save them to a filename or folder which AQ would recognize and allow them all to be displayed at once.
I would also like to be able to append/delete selected waypoints from the file/folder.
If I can make this work as you descrided, this would be very good.

THANKS AGAIN for your reply.
dmtchico

Post by dmtchico »

Hello AQ team;

After searching and reading several forum entries, I finally figured-out how to merge several select waypoints into a single waypoint .gpx file [using AQs waypoint editing tools], so that I can have them all displayed at will. Now it would be nice to be able to alter the waypoint icons and text font/size/color.

If I can I suggest, Your cause would be greatly served by developing more extensive help, which teaches by direct example.

Thanks for your product.