The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[fixed] Slow touch screen response & text entry hit or miss.

Something wrong? Report it here
pinkyperk

[fixed] Slow touch screen response & text entry hit or miss.

Post by pinkyperk »

I have noticed that with my new phone Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus that the touchscreen doesn't work smoothly with Alpinequest. For example when the map is loaded if using my finger to move the screen it is slow to react. I know this is not normal as I have used AQ on several other phones and the screen always moves smoothly. I have compared with other mapping apps on the same phone and for example with Google Maps or Viewranger the screen works perfectly. So a bit of puzzle with this as it only happens with AQ.

The second bug which I am experiencing and also had problems with on at least two phones before is that when it is necessary to enter text data (e.g. when saving a track or creating a new route), the popup screen appears correctly, but when I tap on the "Name" field, quite often the keyboard does not appear so I am unable to enter a name. I have tried this with the stock keyboard and alternative keyboard. I can keep tapping a number of times and nothing happens except when I then press OK without entering any data and the keyboard flashes up and down, but it is too late by then to enter data. This problem seems to occur intermittently.

The phone otherwise works very well with AQ and I have been using it for 3 weeks on a walking trip and AQ was really useful. Any help with these small issues would be appreciated.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Slow touch screen response & text entry hit or miss.

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for the delay.

For your first problem, have you ever tested an older version of the application with this device? Just to know if it's something related to the last update or if it has always been the case.

Concerning your second problem, I'll have a look at that but I have little hope I can do anything. At least as you focus a text field, the keyboard should be displayed, this is something system wide nothing to do at the application level. But I'll check that.

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
pinkyperk

Post by pinkyperk »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am happy to try installing an old version of AQ to see if it resolves problem. Can you let me know where these are available. I have had a quick look and cannot see the old APKs on the website. Thank you
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again and sorry for the delay.
Can you try with this application on which is based AlpineQuest, it has not been updated yet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... fflinemaps
Thanks in advance.
gardiol

Post by gardiol »

Hi!
just chiming in... i have the same phone and AQ is dreadful slow too! I was used to a much older phone (a Samsung frmo 2012) and AQ was much much smoother and faster! Of course, i had an "older" android, while on the Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus i have Android 9 (pie, LineageOS).

I don't think it's hardware, as the phone is not top-gamma but still a decent 8-core 2Ghz Qualcom + 4GB ram?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Next version will fix this problem.
You can register as a beta tester (from the app listing on the Play Store) to get this version right now.
Let me know if this new version doesn't not fix your problem.
colic

Post by colic »

I can't find the beta tester link anywhere, Psyberia-Support. Could you provide a link?

I've also been having the same issue. Old phone worked great, bought a new one and it's almost unusable. Thanks for all your work on a great app!
colic

Post by colic »

Well I just realized there was an update and now everything is back to fast and perfect! :D :D
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Great!
pinkyperk

Post by pinkyperk »

I have now loaded the beta version for my phone (Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus) and the problem with slow screen is now totally resolved. Many thanks.

Regarding the problem of not being able to enter text when saving a track, I think this is due to the phone being logged out. If I log in (with fingerprint / pin) then the text box comes up as normal. Although I am perfectly able to use AQ without keep logging in, when saving a track and needing to enter text this problem arises, but at least I have found a solution. So all good and thanks again.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok thanks for the update.

Version 2.1.1b is now officially available.