The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Write to external SD suggestion

Any question about the app? Ask it here
burekbrigada

Write to external SD suggestion

Post by burekbrigada »

It is probably already thousand times asked :D
Dont know if it's too late for current beta, though.
There is no solution for KitKat [don't know about Lollipop] but for Marshmallow and above WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission can be asked. It would bring system dialog where user can select a folder in SD (or entire SD) where app can write.
Many programs use this (file managers, ftp servers from what I encountered).

Starting point for research:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/433 ... permission
Yemble

Re: Write to external SD suggestion

Post by Yemble »

burekbrigada wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:52 pm It is probably already thousand times asked :D
Dont know if it's too late for current beta, though.
There is no solution for KitKat [don't know about Lollipop] but for Marshmallow and above WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission can be asked. It would bring system dialog where user can select a folder in SD (or entire SD) where app can write.
Many programs use this (file managers, ftp servers from what I encountered).

Starting point for research:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/433 ... permission
I am certain that there is an app that permenently fixes extSD write permissions for KitKat & Lollipop! I suggest that you search for it on PlayStore.

The issue is far more involved with Marshmallow and Nougat. I can't speak for Oreo.

Time that you upgraded you device !!!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, the app does dynamically request write permissions along with the permission to use GPS location.

If you answer "No" and "Do not ask again", then you don't see the request anymore.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
burekbrigada

Post by burekbrigada »

Are we talk about same permission? I don't remember it, contrary to location permission. Anyway, I can't chose folder on SD, except of course in /android/data. But other applications can write anywhere on SD, after bringing that system dialog (Note 4, Marshmallow).
I don't need it myself, have enough room on internal memory, but my friends are not that lucky :-)
Update: I see that permission is allowed in app settings. But then, why I can't chose SD in Alpine, contrary to other apps?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,

You must use the "/android/data/" folder which is located on your external SD card, you cannot use another one.

What you're referring to is something different called SAF (see here) only allowing simple operations (like read or write a file) and which cannot be used by the application because more complex operations are needed (like reading or modifying only a subset of a file). It has been discussed here already.

Hope it helps,
Best regards
burekbrigada

Post by burekbrigada »

Yes, I was talking about Storage Access Framework (SAF). Found it myself after hours of research. Yes, if it can't be used for things needed by AQ, then only adopted storage is a solution for my friends. Or to be a careful with /android/data :-)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

burekbrigada wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:25 am Or to be a careful with /android/data :-)
Correct, but as long as you don't uninstall the app it's fine.