The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

How do I use online maps?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
j_cocker

How do I use online maps?

Post by j_cocker »

Maybe a silly question, but I just cannot see how to do it myself, so here goes:

I have been using the paid-for latest version of AQ for the last few years, always with a couple of maps created using Mobile Atlas Creator and stored on my phone.

As I will travelling abroad soon, I want to download some topo maps to my phone. However, when I click the Maps icon all I get are two options: "explore Maps" and "Displayed maps" that allow me to select a map from my stored collection...

How do I choose an online map server to either view/use/download from?
ds47uk

Re: How do I use online maps?

Post by ds47uk »

Hi
You are in the right place. Just click on "Explore maps".
You will get two folder icons at the top. One is "Onboard maps" and the other is ""Stored maps".
Choose "Stored maps".
You can now expand each section - so you can expand "OpenStreetMap Maps" to get "Standard Mapnik" which is a good place to start,
or you can choose "Add new maps" at the bottom which will give you a list of the available "Community maps" from which you can choose a map for wherever you are heading.

have a good trip!

David
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

It is important to get to grips with the Explore Maps option as tapping in different places results in different actions. It is well worth spending some time experimenting. The Map Overlay function is quite interesting :D
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Don't hesitate to ask if you're stuck somewhere.

(thanks a lot ds47uk & Yemble for your answers)
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

Thanks a lot all!

I haven't noticed the extra icon near the top...

Still on the issue:

I now manage to download tiles of an area for off-line navigation later. However, I much prefer a single AQM file instead, but with Mobile Atlas Creator now all but useless, I was wondering if there is still a way to do that.

In particular, I am looking to create an AQM map of an area rctracted from OpenStreetMap Outdoor and/or Cycle/Hiking maps.

Any idea how to do that? Maybe modify a config file for MobAC?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes you can easily add map sources (like the cycle one) in MOBAC, just a file to copy in the MOBAC map sources folder and restart it (there are plenty of webpages about this, also providing the file).

Note that quite soon it will also be possible to create those kind of files from the app.

Best regards
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

On my version of MOBAC there is a link to OpenStreetMap 4UMaps.eu which seems to have pretty good depiction of footpaths. Also HikeBike is available in AQ.

I see your point about wanting a "standalone" map but I see an advantage to using stored maps in AQ. I don't want vast areas at the finest definition. So what i do is create a general map of the entire area of interest then home in on areas of particular interest and store them at better detail. You can choose how detailed any particular area is. You can of course do this with MOBAC but you end up with several files which you need to manage. With AQ you need not worry about which file is which - AQ looks after it!!

One disadvantage of AQ is that if you are never going to that area again, it is impossible to "throw away" an area of the map!

Edit:
This post crossed with AlpineQuest's - my last paragraph will hopefully soon be obselete.........
j_cocker

Post by j_cocker »

Thanks again.

As suggested, I've now tried several sources of xml files for MOBAC for OSM Cycle Map, which seems to be just the right map for my needs (hiking etc). However, none seemed to work (e.g. https://www.assembla.com/spaces/nogago- ... Downloader). All I get are the dreaded red crosses... ;-(

I disabled my firewall which caused problems in the past, but to no avail.

Has anyone managed to get it to work?
j_cocker

Post by j_cocker »

PS: any other of the OSM Topo maps will also do...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I've just made a MOBAC map file for the OpenCycle map (see attached file).
Just put it in the map sources folder of MOBAC and select "OSM Cycle Map".
Let me know if you have an issue.
Best regards
Attachments

[The extension bsh has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

j_cocker

Post by j_cocker »

Fantastic - works great!

Just out of interest, how do I go about creating such a file? for example for opentopomap.org or others?

I couldn't find anywhere online an example that actually works...
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

You can open the file with any test editor (like Write) and just modify the map name and the URL of the website (just have a look at existing values and modify them, leave any other ones un-touched).
Let me know if you have a issue.
j_cocker

Post by j_cocker »

That works - thanks!

Managed to modify it to use any of the maps found here: http://thunderforest.com/
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok perfect!