The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Displayed Placemarks Sets treatment

Something wrong? Report it here
geofactotem

Displayed Placemarks Sets treatment

Post by geofactotem »

Hardly a bug but I think it qualifies a strange behaviour!

If you import a file of placemarks, above a certain number they become a set which is absolutely fine and they have their own file icon.

I was late back from a walk and I did not know if I had time to walk to pub for our meal booking so a quick draw of a path gave me the distance - great & I had time to walk. The path appeared as such in the listing.

However a longer path or route becomes a set and takes the same icon as a waypoint file. I think that a path/route is a single entity unlike a group of placemarks and should be shown as a single item on the placemark display. (Even if this cant be done, can it have a different file icon to distinguish it from a placemark set)? After all a track has its own identity in the listing and does not become a set.

Finally would be possible to have different icons for paths and tracks? Even it was the same one turned through 90 degrees it would help. (It drove me made until I changed the colours).

Kind regards
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Displayed Placemarks Sets treatment

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi David,
If you import a file of placemarks, above a certain number they become a set which is absolutely fine and they have their own file icon.
Yes absolutely, when importing a GPX/KML file with more than 10 single waypoints, the application automatically groups them in a waypoints set.
However a longer path or route becomes a set and takes the same icon as a waypoint file.
No, at least it shouldn't!
When you create items on the map, they always remain as they were created (waypoints, sets, areas, routes, paths/tracks).
However when you import items from a GPX/KML file, they are always imported in placemark file.
So when you import a GPX file with one single track, the application will not import it as a track, but as a placemark file with a single track inside, the will display the placemark file. This is because the application doesn't know in advance if the GPX file contains only one or multiple items, so is always import it as a placemark file and put inside it everything it finds.
This is maybe the confusion.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Hi Francois,
Apologies.
"However a longer path or route becomes a set and takes the same icon as a waypoint file." "No, at least it shouldn't!" I have not mastered the quote function yet. It doesn't and I am incorrect.

I brought the problem on myself by having three files covering basically the same area and in part layered on top of each other.
Placemark 1) Is a route imported from another app as xxx.gpx.ldk - Information Type hikingTourTrail Displayed placemarks shows it as a file icon. A short push shows it as a path icon. It clearly correctly thinks it is a path so why not show it as such at the higher level?
Placemark 2) Is a path carefully drawn by me and showing in the list as a path with a path icon (but largely hidden by the track hence my error).
Placemark 3) Is the track as I followed the path again with the path icon.

The following day I used a waypointed route I had made up and imported as yyy.gpx.ldk. Information Type Route. Again it displayed as a file but this time the soft push icon was a route so why not at the higher level?

I think I had better hide my keyboard and give you some peace!

Kind regards
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes I understand it's a bit complicated and you're not the first one to complain about how placemark files work.

If I try to make an example with files from a desktop computer, let's imagine you have an Excel file, displayed with the corresponding Excel icon in your file explorer.
Now imagine your ZIP this unique file. You now get a ZIP file with a single Excel file inside. However the file explorer will display a ZIP icon, and not the icon of the file inside.
It's the same thing here.

You can have a TRACK, with its track icon. But if you put it into a placemark file and display the placemark file, you'll get the icon of the placemark file. Even if you have one single track inside. Because a placemark file has its own icon and because you're allowed at any time to put more things in it, including areas and waypoints and everything that have different icons.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !