The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

wrong (not completely correct) map provider name shown

Something wrong? Report it here
ong21

wrong (not completely correct) map provider name shown

Post by ong21 »

Hi,

I am new to AlpineQuest (it's great! I bought the Pro version) - so I may have a usage problem and it might not be a bug that I am reporting.

I am using multiple maps at once. I let AQ display the map provider name in the upper left area. Unfortunately it does not show the correct information. In the screenshot (below) you can see all maps have 100% opacity, thus the correct map provider name should be "Open Map Roads" - as this is the one I can currently see and not "Toporaster".
Further more: If I tick the "eye" symbol and make the map "invisible" the information still says "Toporaster".
I do see the problem of what should be displayed if the user, like me, uses more than one map, maybe even the topmost with an opacity of 30%.

My suggestion for a possible solution:
  • IF opacity of the top most layer is 100%, display that name ONLY
  • IF more than one layer: display all names of all layers that have an opacity is < 100%, coma separated from top to bottom using also above criteria. Stop list at the layer that first has 100% opacity AND an "open eye"-symbol.
  • NEVER display a map name of a layer that has a closed eye-symbol
  • NEVER display a map name of a layer that has an opacity of 0%
Maybe: if more than one value (= coma saperated list), add opacity level in braces. Example: Open Map Roads (50%), Topo Raster 4 (100%)

You could also add a setting where the user can set the minimum opacity for a map layer to show up in the coma separated list
Olaf
* together for the better software *
* https://datenbank-projekt.de/ *
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: wrong (not completely correct) map provider name shown

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I've just published a new beta version (2.3.1c) with some changes based on your suggestions.
It's not exactly what you described, because layers can be transparent (for example roads layers), so even with an alpha at 100%, layers below can be visible. Also, the application does have a bottom to top priority, the most bottom map is considered to be the base one, and other are additional layers, so the most bottom visible map gives the name. However the app now takes into account the visibility of maps and layers accordingly.
Also, it was not possible to display all layers names because if does quickly fills all of the screen width, so I only added the number of additional visible layers.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Hi
(I typed my question in detail but lost it somehow so this repeat will be shorter)

You are ahead of me here. I am assuming maps and layers are much the same. I have tried and failed to get more than one map into the "Displayed maps" listing. I have looked at the layers help page but that works on the assumption that that you already have several maps/layers in the list. So I would like to know how to get to that point, obviously I have not found the correct page.

What I would also like to do is to have my file based inbound map in the listing as well. As this is sourced rather differently it might not be possible. Then I could easily toggle between the two. Perhaps there is a simpler way to achieve the same thing as currently I am finding it a bit convoluted. I must add it is not something that I would expect to use a lot but very useful when I need it.

Help would be appreciated
Regards
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

David, by default, when you tap on a map from the available maps list, it will remove the current map and layers.
However, if you long-press it and select "Add as layer", it will be added on the top of currently displayed maps and layers, behaving like if you tap on a map layer.
You can also long-press favorite maps/sets to select "Add as layer".
You can stack as much maps and layers you want.

Concerning your file-based maps, you can sort them by in-bounds/out-of-bounds in the maps explorer. Maps and layers here behave identically.
geofactotem

Post by geofactotem »

Hi Francois,
Thank you for the prompt reply, that is perfect and I am pleased I asked.
As it happens I am now on holiday. As you have spent some time in England I expect you will be aware of "Sod's Law". Where we will be walking crosses 3 "qct" files, I can display all three concurrently, magic!
Met fiends this pm, am sure I have sold a lite version which I hope will lead to a pro sale.
Thanks again,
David
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thank you for your support!
If all your maps are in the same folder, you can display them at once: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... _selection
And after you've displayed your 3 maps, you can create a new favorite maps set to retrieve them together.