The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] recording stops

Something wrong? Report it here
marcs

[closed] recording stops

Post by marcs »

Hello,

I have an issue when recording tracks: The recording sometimes stops .
This happened twice now and previous time was about 2 month ago.
I usually record my stand up paddle trips to know the distance I make. When I do that, I start the gps and recording and then put my phone in a waterproof pocket. It is when I am finished that I notice there was a problem because the track stops somewhere in the middle of the lake. Today it was after about 1.5 hour.
I think there is an gps tolerance displayed which could mean gps works fine but recording not.

I use AlpineQuest 1.4.22 (full) on a LG G2 mini. Display of swiss maps (offline) if this matters.

Anybody else experienced a similar behaviour ?

Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: recording stops

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for the delay of my answer.

The first thing you could check is the accuracy of your recorded track GPS locations (or at least the recorded part).
You can display the track profile, then click on an Y axis and select "Accuracy". Just because there is a location filter ignoring locations with a too high inaccuracy, and even if the value is very large by default, this is one thing to check.

Be also sure to check the "lost of signal warnings" option so the application plays a sound if the GPS signal is lost. And of course be able to listen to it (so device not in silent mode or too much protected; even if I understand that on water you need good protection...).

Also, if you use a tracking frequency equal or greater than 1 location / 20 secs, the GPS is completely turned off between updates (to save battery), but some devices have difficulties in locking the GPS again for the following updates, especially when the GPS doesn't have a clear sky access.
On the other hand, some devices don't like too fast updates (/1 or /2 secs) for hours, so I usually recommend /5 or /10 secs updates.

Finally, did the tracking got resumed after the missing part? I mean, did it look like just one part in the middle is missing or that the application completely closed?
Please let me know, sorry for you disagreement
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
marcs

Post by marcs »

Hi and thank you for your answers,

I checked the "bugged" recorded tracks and the worst accuracy they have is 27 meters (the last recorded point in 2 of the 3 tracks). Not that bad I think.
The location filter is set with the default values (3m / 256m) and the tracking frequency is set to 5 or 10 seconds.

The problem is that the tracking did not resume at all in 2 of 3 cases. In the last one, it resumed when I took my phone to end the record (the interruption of record lasted 90 minutes) ! At that instant, the gps seemed to work fine.

Strange !
The problem is that I can't reproduce the bug easily. It happens once in about 10 records.

For the next outings I am thinking to increase the accuracy filter setting to see if it makes a difference. Is there a way to disable it completely ?
I will also try to listen more carefully to "lost signal warning" but that's not easy.

Any other suggestion ?

Best regards,
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Unfortunately you cannot currently disable the accuracy filter (I'll change this as soon as possible), but I don't think this is your problem since you got a correct accuracy.
What you can do if it happens again, is to check the tracker log file (be sure not to turn it off and on before otherwise it will create a new log file). The log file is located in the application folder, inside the "logs" folder, and it's called "tracker.log". The tracker logs all major events, like when it loss the GPS signal, retrieve it, or when it ignores locations. Don't hesitate to send me the file by email so I can check it more easily.
Best regards
espacechateau

Post by espacechateau »

Hello. I have the same problem. Huawei p8. And the track stop recording without warning during my track.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Do you use an "Cleaner" application?
Did you try to reduce the tracking frequency like explained in the first answer of this thread?
Best regards
marcs

Post by marcs »

Hello,
I finally found that my issues were not limited to Alpinequest. It was a general problem of the applications that used the gps on my phone. The problem disappeared when I updated Android (to 5.0.2).
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for your feedback.