The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] stored maps still need mobile network access

Something wrong? Report it here
sjaak.van.dijk

[closed] stored maps still need mobile network access

Post by sjaak.van.dijk »

I am using the cycle/hike map (openstreets). When I am in offline modes the shown map is accurate for a while. However when I have walked a few km, the gps track is recorded and shown properly but the map does not show any map information, but shows only white and "network error". When I zoom out, the map is shown again but when I zoom in it dissapears and shows only white. After turning my network on and turn off the offline modus the map is shown correctly again when I zoom in. For a while and then the same happens again......It costs me Mb's when I am abroad.
How can I make sure the maps are available offline at the greatest accuracy?

Thanks for your help
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: stored maps still need mobile network access

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,

Stored maps do not need mobile network access, that all the purpose of "stored" maps.

Note that you've to store the areas you need for offline use before going offline, the application doesn't come with the complete world map included.

To store an area, you can use the "Store area" tool, see help here.
Note that the application uses "raster" maps (image based, allowing various styles and imagery), so you need to specify the highest details level you want to store (this is explained in the help page given above).

You can also "simulate" being out mobile network by either activating the "Offline mode" from the "Maps & layers" menu of the application, or by turning on the airplane mode of your device. This will allow you to check if everything you need is correctly stored.

Let me know if you have an issue.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
sjaak.van.dijk

Post by sjaak.van.dijk »

SiteAdmin, Thanks for your response.

I already had the map registered for offline storage so that part i had done correctly. I use the cycle/hike openstreet map.
That you can (or have to) specify the highest details level you want to store however was new for me.
I registered an area with the highest detail level and tried again in the offline modus.

I still have the issue. When I zoom in I get white or red rectangles on some parts of the map. The location depends on the zoom level. When I zoom out they dissapear.

What can be the cause?
Or should I completely restore the app and it's data?
How can I verify what areas are stored offline? (I am going to scotland and I want to offline store maps of Mull, Glen Coe and Fort William area. The complete area is too large to store as one area. )
Or can I store only one area offline?(and overwrites it the previous offline store?)

Hope to hear from you.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
If you're seeing red tiles, this is is not a good thing...
You should clear your storage to fix this: open the maps explorer, long press the "Cycle/Hike" map and select "Clear data". This will reset your corrupted data.
Then you'll be able to store again all what you need.

Note that you shouldn't store until the highest detail level, this will require too much place to be stored, level 16 or 17 is usually sufficient.
Also, you can store as many areas as you want, all the data is "merged" into a single storage, so overlapping areas won't be downloaded again.

Let me know concerning your red tiles if they show up again.
Best regards

Post by Guest »

Thanks.

I think it is solved.
Before I received your reply I did an uninstall and a new install. That did not fix it.

After that I deleted the file OSMCYC.DAT (and also the other files in the builtin maps folder). That file was huge, about 2.1 GByte. Probably corrupted or too big.

After that I made a few offline stores of limited areas. That worked well. The size is now 344 MB and no more errors or red rectangles.

Good to know that data is not stored twice.

Level 16 or 17 is sufficient. How can I see what level that is on the slide bar?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

You can check the display "Map scale" option in the "Maps and layers" sub-menu to display the current zoom level.
But this value is just a hint, have a look at the map and decide what's good for you.
Best regards

Post by Guest »

Stored maps will only display offline at the zoom level they were stored at.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
The application never clears the stored data by itself.
If you believe there is something wrong, please give more details.