The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Feature request: Button to record placemark

Any question about the app? Ask it here
DolphinPC

Feature request: Button to record placemark

Post by DolphinPC »

Hello,

I think an incredibly useful feature (at least for my use-case) is the ability to record a placemark at the current GPS position inside the app as a quick waypoint. Said button (for Galaxy device) might be the bixby key, or volume down key? Is this possible and feasible? Perhaps the user could define how to set this button (hold for 3 sec, press once, etc...)

I believe this feature would be valuable for marking quick points without needing to even view the screen.

Thank you for the great software
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Button to record placemark

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and sorry for the delay.
I'm afraid this won't be possible, at least in this way.
Regular apps are not notified of pressed buttons if they are not displayed. It may be possible with some additional permissions, but I'm not even sure.
Also, when the app is not displayed, it usually doesn't keep the GPS awake (to save battery), unless it's really needed.
But, what is planned is to add a "Add waypoint" in the notification area when the track recorder is active. This is not as fast but it would add the ability to add point on the current GPS location without starting the app.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
DolphinPC

Post by DolphinPC »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. It's been some time since I've been on the forum.

I do know you are busy with many features. Please allow me to reiterate my request and further explain the needs of this feature.

My request is to allow the ability to record a placemark (waypoint) quickly via external button (volume key?) Without need to view the screen. What I mean is, the app may still be open.

Here is my reasoning for this request: currently to record a placemats at the *current position*, I must center my map cursor at my location (timely operation in my use case) then hard press to record quick way point.

I would much rather just press a vol key or some other quick method, versus having to precisely center my cursor.

If you are aware of a way of doing this already please let me know. If not, I think this feature may be useful.

Thank you for ongoing support!!!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again,
I don't know your particular use case but you do not need to move the map center over your current GPS location to create a point on this one. Just create a regular waypoint (either screen tap -> Create waypoint shortcut icon or add a custom item in the main menu), then below the "Name" field choose "Real-time position" instead of "Screen center coordinates". Tap "Ok". The next times, "Real-time position" will be selected by default.

Concerning the hard buttons, it's not possible to use the Bixby button for regular apps, and there are already app actions for short and long volume up/down taps...
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !