The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Distinguish layers, and non layers, in the on-demand list

Any question about the app? Ask it here
jidanni

Distinguish layers, and non layers, in the on-demand list

Post by jidanni »

Here we see a mixture of layers and non layers. However unless the user has put the word "layer" right there in a title, there's no way to tell the difference! So why is it important to tell the difference? Well when you tap one it'll be treated differently depending on if it's a layer! Therefore I recommend there be some visual clue to distinguish normal maps, from layers, in the above picture.

Sure, long tapping will reveal all the details. However I'm saying looking at this image, the user should be able to tell the difference without having to tap anything.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210430-092530.jpg
(323.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Distinguish layers, and non layers, in the on-demand list

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Dan,
Yes you're right.
I'll see what I can do.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
helwin

Post by helwin »

Alert silly question....

Seems i have been missing something... so what is the difference between a layer and a non-layer despite the menu item "force update..."?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

They both have the "force update..." menu.

The differences are:
- A map is usually opaque (or has an opaque background) and sufficient by itself. When you select it from the maps list, it will replace all the currently displayed maps and layers, unless you select the specific action "Add as layer...". Typical example is a satellite imagery.
- A layer is usually transparent, and only contains additional data that is supposed to be added over another map. When you select it from the maps list, it will be added at the top of displayed maps and layers. Typical examples are a contours layer, or a hillshading layer.

Other then that they behave the same.
helwin

Post by helwin »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:25 pm They both have the "force update..." menu.
Hmmm...When browsing my "installed/on demand maps", I notice that most of these items have this option, but for example the items listed in DEM do not.
Screenshot.jpg
(499.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Psyberia-Support wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:25 pm Other then that they behave the same.
So why is it important to Jidanni to point out a difference?
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

One example why it is important, is that tapping on a layer just adds it as a layer. But tapping on a map adds it as a map. In other words if you don't know it, you're going to zap all your layers because you tapped on a map.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

The "force update data..." menu is only displayed for "on-demand" maps (online maps like Google, OSM, etc).
It does not have sense for file based maps, calibrated images, and DEM data, because there is not a newer version of the data available somewhere else that may be updated locally.
helwin

Post by helwin »

Ok.. I was not aware of the fact that DEM is not updated.