The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Map Set Based on Track

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Map Set Based on Track

Post by Psyberia-Support »

No sorry I haven't found the time to work on this yet...
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
theksmith

Post by theksmith »

bump, upvote, +1, me too, etc. ... ;)

still hoping to see this feature added soon!
photoleif

Post by photoleif »

Thanks for letting us know. There's still interest, so hopefully there's time at some point :-) Thanks for all you do. I really value AQ and use it nearly every day.

Cheers
Nick

Post by Nick »

To determine the tiles to download would it be possible to use the device screen resolution, AlpineQuest scale factor from setting, and for each zoom level sweep a perpendicular line along the path based on widest dimension that would be visible (so any orientation is covered) and any tiles intersected are downloaded?
This would make storing off-line tiles for track/route so easier for a user. Q
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Hi there,
It's quite a long time ago, so I wanted to ask again if there is some progress. I actually doing another longtime cycle tour and again really miss this feature! It would be so helpful if I don't have to follow the path on 2000 km to download it for offline...
Maybe it's also a solution if there is a "program" in Alpinequest where you just can say "give me a preview of this path" and then it will just follow it. So you can do it several times in different Zoom-levels. This also would be really helpful!
Thank you so much for your work. This is that the only feature. Beside from this it's the best travel app!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi Jojo,
Unfortunately it's still not available. I completely agree that this is really missing. This is still planned though.
I receive so much requests everyday that I'm completely overwhelmed...
Concerning the follow of a path, I don't know if it's what you mean but you can select a path, choose "Follow path", open the Explorer mode and you'll see the profile and various data concerning the remaining section.
The app will also download the elevation data all along the path.
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Hi there,
I know this follow path-option already. But what I mean is if it would be possible to make a preview from follow path, so that the app itself will slowly follow the map along the path, so that it downloads the map meanwhile... That would maybe the easiest way to implement this option to easier download the maps along a path. Do you get my point?
But thanks for this great app!
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

I'll have to think about this, but the store map along a path is a pending and awaited feature for a long time, and that would answer your need as far as I understand. The store area tool is only way to store map data that is not displayed. A "preview" tool as far as I understand would need to be dependent on the maps download speed and would lock app usage, this is technically difficult...
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Yes, that's right. But the "preview" tool would be a bit step on the way. Because it way be easier to create this function...
And even it's depend on the download speed it would be definitely easier than endless follow the path by hand.
So I would really appreciate this feature! :)
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

I'm thinking about little children, how they are taught to paint with their fingers. Maybe like just smudging along the map with your finger, and then the area you smudged would be the download area. This will come in handy for just getting maps along twisty mountain trails, without getting any of the useless forest nearby. This would be faster than panning the map all over the place. Of course the map must stay still while we're smudging our finger along it.
jidanni

Post by jidanni »

Another idea would be, just like when we move the map and we are vacuuming up tiles, have a setting that says we don't just want the tiles we usually get when we pan the map, we want one or two levels deeper too!
So in this case, even though we are not doing a batch download. We still are vacuuming up (downloading) more tiles than usual while we pan.