The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Waypoints text size

Any question about the app? Ask it here
AntonM

[closed] Waypoints text size

Post by AntonM »

I have a number of waypoints within which I've included text pasted from websites into the waypoint's "comment" box. That text shows correctly when I tap on a waypoint on the map, but it is too small to read (for me, at any rate) without a magnifying glass. May we have an option to increase the size of that text too, please?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Waypoints text size

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Sorry for the delay.
It would be great if you could send me a screen-shot displaying this text, cause I don't know if it's an issue with your particular device, or you just that you find the description text size too small.
I can try to increase the size a little, but I really want to keep it small compared to the title since it's a much less important information.
Also, I won't be able to add a common setting for that (it's a minor feature and it's important that the settings stay small), but I can definitely add an user-setting so you would be able to choose any size quite easily (I can send you the config file).
Let me know
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Here is the expected size (4'' device):
device-2014-10-01-132551.jpg
(120.47 KiB) Downloaded 5600 times
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

I attach a screenshot showing one of the waypoints' comments. It's perfectly readable on my desktop, which obviously shows a larger image overall, but on my 4.8 inch SGSIII, it's too small for me to read. I suppose younger eyes have no problem with it, but I'm a bit older than that! My wife also found it hard to read even with her reading glasses on.

I put the attached screenshot into a graphics program on my desktop and adjusted the size to be the same as on my phone, and measured the comments text at 5.25pt, normal weight and is hard to read. The text of "La Bistrot des Dames" measures 7pt, and is bold weight, and I can read that easily. The text of "Paris central" is 8.4pt, normal weight, and also easy for me to read.

It would be very good if, in a future version, consideration might be given to us visually challenged oldies to be able to enlarge the text of the waypoint comment, in the same way as you have made provision for us to do with labels, etc. Being able to select bold as well, would be even better!
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Sorry, attachment failed last time, trying again...
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-10-01-17-23-17.jpg
(171.61 KiB) Downloaded 5595 times
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok, I have increased the size of 1pt, and added an user settings to change the size.
After the update, please let me know if the size is still too small so I can tell you how to change it.
Best regards

Edit: it seems you're using an old version of the app. Be sure to update it because various display sizes have been changed recently. The current one if 1.4.19, and 1.4.20 will be release these days.
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Thank you - I shall look forward to the update. And thanks again for an excellent app!

I am, incidentally, using 1.4.19 - I have just checked.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again
The new 1.4.20 version is available, with description texts a little bigger.
If in any case you need a larger text size, you can put the attached file in the application folder ("alpinequest/") and restart the application.
Best regards
Attachments
user_settings.conf
(38 Bytes) Downloaded 432 times
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

I see, to my surprise, that there seems to be no "alpinequest/" folder on my SGSIII phone's internal storage, but only on the ExtSdCard. I did not move AQ to the external SD card, and the App Manager shows the app as not having been moved. With my phone connected to my desktop PC, even "Computer\GT-I9300\Phone\Android\data\psyberia.alpinequest.full" contains one folder only, "files", which is empty. The folder "Computer\GT-I9300\Card\alpinequest" does however exist. I also searched with the SGSIII's built-in "MyFiles" app, same result. I do not understand this.

Anyway, I copied "user_settings.conf" into "Computer\GT-I9300\Card\alpinequest" and restarted AQ, but I cannot find where I can set text size that was not there before, and no setting that looks like it is for waypoint descriptive text size. (I haven't tried this on my tablet yet.)

I'm clearly still doing something wrong.

(I'm using AQ 1.4.20.)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
It seems you're misunderstanding to different things:
- The install location of the application, which is where the application is installed on your device (by Google Play). It can be either on your internal memory, or in the external SD card. You can change the install location using the Android app manager;
- The storage device of the application, which is where the application stores downloaded maps, landmarks, etc. To change this storage device, open the application settings (main menu in the app -> Settings) and change the "Storage device" preference.

These are two different and independent things.

You should open the application settings and check what storage location is used by the application. Then, you'll be able to browse this location and put the attached file in it. It won't add anything, it will only make the description text bigger, nothing else.

Let me know
Best regards
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

OK, got it - and I did save "settings conf" into the assigned storage device. The waypoint description text is indeed slightly larger and is now only just within the limit of my visual acuity.

Is it not possible to give users more flexibility and choice regarding text size? I would really like to make it even bigger.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

You can edit the file yourself to change the text size. You can use an Android text editor (I personally use the one included in the free file explorer "ES File Explorer").
The file contains this line, "14" is the size (in point). You can set "16" or even "20" for a bigger size.

Code: Select all

map.canvas.popup_comment_size=14
I can't use a common setting for this, the settings window must stay as small as possible, and only contain largely used settings.
Best regards
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted! :) :) :)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback!
WyeWalk

Post by WyeWalk »

Hi AntonM. Are you aware of Touch Zoom? I'm not sure which version of Android introduced it, but I find it really helpful for this sort of issue. Look in accessibility options to switch it on. It allows you to tap the screen three times to magnify and drag the screen around. Also if you keep your finger on the screen on the third tap you can drag the screen around and when you release it will revert to normal size.
Hope this helps,
Pete.